All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 08:24 

After doing this with my daughter's rec team 2 years ago, my son's rec team last year and my daughter's travel team last year and this year, I'm convinced that using no dribble scrimmages and shell drills has to be one of, if not, the most effective way of getting players to understand solid, fundamental basketball on both the offensive and defensive end.

We work on offensive fundamentals a bunch and some breakdown drills for offensive actions like pass and cut, post feed and cut and some defensive stuff like lane slides and jamming cutters. Then we get into scrimmaging with the one rule that the offense can't dribble the ball. This forces the offense to work on cutting, spacing, being ball strong, facing up to the hoop and being in triple threat position, cutting hard, filling hard, rotating to the open space. It makes the defense have to work on jumping to the ball, jamming cutters, denying passes and not getting backdoored, being in helpside in case a cutter breaks free.

Once I feel like the offense is really moving the ball in good rhythm we add in the dribble, but usually with a 3-4 dribble limit so that the offense has to go someplace and do something worthwhile with their dribble.

I'm helping coach a 5th grade girls AAU team right now and I was tasked with installing the offense. 5 of the girls are coming from a travel team that had a coach that called out one of five different set plays EVERY POSSESSION. There was no motion or freelancing. It was all robotic and mechanic. We beat them 9 straight times this season. I knew it would be a bit of a struggle to get them into the habit of just playing. So we introduced basic pass and cut drills, post feed and cut, and backcut. Then went 5v0 with cones marking the spots to fill. It was rough at first. Better the second night.

Last night was the third practice and we skipped the 5v0 and went straight to 5v5 no dribble. We got a couple open jumpers off a post feed, cut and replace. And a few layups from the post feed and cut, as well as just good hard cutting. This was all after about 65 total minutes of offensive install through three practices.

I contribute much of the progress to the use of the no dribble scrimmages. I know I picked that up here and I can't remember if it was from Coach Joe, Jeff or Coach Sar. But thank you! Big time!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2015, 09:23 
Site Admin

I totally agree. Coach Sar and I think everyone on the forum has been recommending the no dribble drills. You are right... they work.
http://jeffhaefner.com/coach/trying-new-drills-no-dribble-is-still-one-of-the-best/

Glad it has helped you out!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 18:29 

Dig the no dribble drills and scrimmages. My favorite is one we call 10 good passes. It works best with 9 kids, teams of three. Start with two teams playing half court and one on the sideline waiting to come in.

Offense team must make 10 good passes and they win, no dribbles allowed. Defense is allowed to be a bit more aggressive (refs might call them on it in a real game) which forces the O to move a lot. If the D gets a turnover, they immediately take over on O, the O team goes off and the team from the sideline comes in on D. Fast moving, no waiting for the sideline team type deal.

Consequences for the losing teams. We mix up the teams after a few rounds to make sure one team isn't dominating each time.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2015, 20:30 

Bob Hurley's CBA drill is also very good. I'm going off of memory, so don't thump me if I'm off on something.

The point guard is allowed to dribble to get the entry, but then no dribbles.

Play 3 possessions for each unit.

3 passes = 1 point
High Post Pass = 1 point
Post Pass = 1 point
Change sides = 1 point
Made lay-up = 2 points
Made Jump shot = 1 point

The way to rack points is to not shoot until you get a great shot. A team can make 3 shots on their 3 possessions and still lose because they took the shot too quick and didn't utilize good ball movement.