All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 09:25 

I am coaching a girls travel team. Our 4th grade season has been finished for exactly one month now and out team banquet is in less than two weeks. I plan on coaching this team again for their 5th grade season and finally for their 6th grade season.

I want to maintain contact with them during the offseason via email and the occasional shootaround at our communities fitness center. I was thinking of giving them small individual workouts they could be doing on their own time. Maybe 1-2 ideas each month.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what kind of stuff I could provide them? Skill workouts, conditioning stuff? I'm thinking most of the stuff would be ball handling related since they are so young. And maybe some footwork and fun shooting type stuff.

Out of the 8 girls, most of them are involved in either softball, soccer, volleyball and running when it's not basketball season.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 11:38 

Quote:
Does anybody have any suggestions on what kind of stuff I could provide them? Skill workouts, conditioning stuff? I'm thinking most of the stuff would be ball handling related since they are so young. And maybe some footwork and fun shooting type stuff.Out of the 8 girls, most of them are involved in either softball, soccer, volleyball and running when it's not basketball season.
I like to hear that your players are involved in other sports, very healthy. I know as a coach you want to keep them rockin' on the basketball front, however, I think it's healthy to have that break from a sport to play another one or just take a break in general. I don't see anything wrong with throwing out a few ball handling drills they can do in the drive way. I like your idea below though.

coachmt wrote:
I want to maintain contact with them during the offseason via email and the occasional shootaround at our communities fitness center.
Playing some 3 on 3 or just letting them shoot around together. It keeps the team together, they play some basketball, and have some fun.

If you can strike a balance of keeping in touch, playing a little basketball, but giving them some space to do other things, you've done a good thing.