All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 12:43 

Just joking about my thread title

I bought the Bob Bigelow's dvd set off the recommendation here by so many. I watched all 3 dvd's as soon as I got them. I want to first say I highly recommend them to anyone who is coaching youth basketball. Great information and I picked up some new drills.

I have just noticed that the break through basketball site and these dvd's are giving different advice on a couple of areas.

On this site, teaching layups, we are to have you shoot with left hand or right depending on which side you are dribbling from. Bob Bigelow is saying at the youth age let the kids shoot with their strong hand no matter which side they are dribbling in from. That it does not matter at a youth age up through 6th grade.

Also on this site, the advice is to teach players from a young age to shoot with proper form, using one hand with the other just as a guide. Bob Bigelow in the DVD's says up throuh 6th grade that kids can use the 2 handed shot. Making a W on the ball .... how he was taught when he was young.

These differences can be a little confusing as a coach teaching young kids ( 3rd & 4th grade). Should I be stressing these or following Bob's advice? The kids are more likely to feel comfortable following Bob's advice. Thanks for your input. I love the site !

By the way the kids have to play at 10ft rims & 28.5 size basketballs
-----------------------------------------------

On another note: I was calling the parents of the kids who made the travel 3rd & 4th grade B team I was coaching. I wanted to stress the commitment to the parents and players of the need to make practice & games. Then I told them that I wanted to be up front and let them know I do not stress winning. I understand its the object to score more points then the other team but the words "winning" probably will never come out of my mouth. I also said that if your child was picked for the team they will play. They should all get in the game at least half the game. As a coach I do not have the heart to let kids sit on the bench and not play. I was nervous telling the parents this because how there is such a winning first attitude.

Well the parents so far have been in complete shock. They told me how refreshing it was to here this and they were so happy I felt this way. I was speaking with one dad and his older son was on 5th & 6th grade travel B team and he said he played little minutes. I asked like 6 mins a game? He said more like 3 mins if he was lucky. And the dad said he didnt get it, because the team wasnt winning and several kids didnt play any ways. It was just a bad year for his son. To me hearing that story just makes me sad. Because the child had enough talent to make the B team and could be more of a late bloomer but now just has a bad out look on basketball.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 13:14 
Site Admin

Those are good questions.

I think the answer is simple... Do what you feel comfortable with and believe in.

There are so many different ways to go about teaching the game. Even though we agree on most points, you will get different opinions, strategies, and coaching methods from me, Joe, Coach Sar, Bob Bigelow, Don Kelbick, Jim Huber, and others on the website.

We do screen the coaches and the content shared on our website to make sure they fit our core beliefs and values... but at the same time we also give coaches freedom to teach what they believe and has worked for them.

They might have a different better way of doing things than I do. You as a coach might find a little different way to go about things.

There are probably 100 different offenses that have won championships. There are probably 50 really effective shooting coaches out there that use slightly different technique.

But the one thing all those coaches that won championships and shooting coaches do... is they teach what they are comfortable with and truly believe in. If they don't players will see right through them.

Regarding shooting with two hands versus two, you could argue and debate that all day long. There are pros and cons to each method. I have chosen to teach one handed shooting to my players. For example, with my daughters 2nd grade team we just played some 3on3, had fun, and mostly worked on dribbling, passing, and footwork. No shooting at all.

As 3rd graders, we are now starting to work on one hand form shooting for a couple minutes each day. I believe that will make life much easier down the road since we don't have to break any two handed shooting habits later on.

I could give you many reasons why I do things this way. In addition, I strongly believe developing strength on your off hand by passing, shooting layups, form shooting or whatever. This coordination in both hands will pay off greatly when they are older.

That's just what I believe and seems right to me. You have to look at the different strategies and decide what you believe is right and be confident in what you are doing.

With that said, if you want reasoning and/or info of any of the specific strategies, let us know and we'll try to dig up the info.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 17:51 

Jeff -

Great job on this post....there is more than one way to skin a cat. The most important thing you can do is to teach good solid fundamentals.... at this age Ws & Ls mean nothing. You can go 30-0 and if they cant play at the next level, cant make the 7/8th grade team or HS team, what have you gained?

Too many youth coaches and parents worry about winning, your kudos will come when you see them on the Varsity floor in HS. I cant tell you how many kids came into our HS that didn't make their 8th grade team or didn't play.... that worked hard and made the varsity..... some ended up being All Conference players.

Quote:
But the one thing all those coaches that won championships and shooting coaches do... is they teach what they are comfortable with and truly believe in. If they don't players will see right through them.

No truer words were ever spoken Jeff. As a coach you have to believe in what you are teaching, 100%! We ran and Open Post Offense called Double Up.... I cant tell you how many people would say that I didn't know what I was doing and that I didn't know how to coach. I guess they thought that we just rolled the ball out in practice... guess what, I could care less. I even had to explain the offense to my AD. Everybody thought it was a delay game.

Quote:
As for shooting....... "Regarding shooting with two hands versus two, you could argue and debate that all day long. There are pros and cons to each method. I have chosen to teach one handed shooting to my players. For example, with my daughters 2nd grade team we just played some 3on3, had fun, and mostly worked on dribbling, passing, and footwork. No shooting at all."

I always taught the one handed method... like Jeff said.... no need to try and break bad habits. With very young kids, they wont be very successful but hopefully they willl get the general idea.

Good luck and I hope things go well for you.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 18:47 

I respect Bob Bigelow and think his overall coaching philosophy is spot on for youth sports. I've watched dozens of DVD's on youth sports and coaching over the years. Usually what happens is I use what fits my comfort level and coaching philosophy at that particular time and leave the rest.

We had a poster recently who was advancing the idea that kids shouldn't play in games with refs, scores, or standings under 5th grade (maybe 6th grade, can't remember). He had a valid point. If the kids haven't developed the fundamental skills necessary to play basketball, why throw them in a stressful environment when they aren't ready for that? Makes sense to me, however, that's a pretty radical concept compared to the norm.

As far as the layups and two handed shooting, I think it's up to the coach and talent level on the team at that time. I handled it more on a player by player basis. If I had a kid who was stronger or more athletic, I challenged him/her on the layups and proper shooting form. I certainly didn't make an issue out of either one of those during a game at that level. My main goal at the 3rd/4th grade level was to keep it fun and make sure we had repeat customers.

A lot of this boils down to personal coaching philosophy, perspective (mine has changed over the years), and what your city has to offer with regards to basketball programs. Our city has a wide range of programs, camps, and leagues based on skill level. Some cities only offer a few choices.

You mentioned you are coaching a 3rd/4th grade travel team? Do they travel around the city or out of state? Sounds like that kids might have had to try out?