All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 16:31 

I coach girls aged 13-14, and only get a single 60-minute practice per week in a short 2-month season before their high school seasons start.

If I wanted to teach four new dribble moves (or any new skill), would it be best to have them
- spend 3 minutes every day on each of the 4
- spend 6 minutes on two new skills per practice, then work on something else the next day
- some other formula?

thanks in advance

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 17:56 

Fy-

If this was me I would teach them all the moves and make sure that they worked on it every day on their own time. Maybe 4-5 minutes per move until they mastered the move, then they could cut back on the time a little bit and add something else.

Set up a schedule for their workout so they have something to follow.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 12:37 

Coach Sar is correct, assign homework each week. I'd keep it fairly simple, maybe look up a few drills on YouTube (e.g. Gannon Baker dribbling drills, dribbling with two balls, etc.) and e-mail the girls a sample workout with the videos as a reference.

With only 60 minutes once per week, you'll have to pick your poison. I'd tend to pick a few major skills on offense and defense, then combine skills like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1U5oSMQ6S4. I like these types of drills because I can emphasize two or three key teaching points and practice those points in 1 drill vs 3 separate drills. The more you can combine 2 or 3 skills on one drill, the more you'll maximize your practice time.

Good warm-up drill we do it for about 5 min. There are variations on this passing drill, but we teach our kids exactly what the video emphasizes, two hands on passing and catches, meet the ball, and look up when doing your lay-up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRZ3F7tW2c I just picked this up on the fly, I'm sure there are other combination drills with passing, shooting, dribbling and rebounding that you can use.

Last thought, plan your practices with duration times beside each drill. I have 2 hour practices and still use that method. I don't always following it to the minute, but it serves as a great guideline to keep me on track.