All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 08:09 

Could you refer me to a chart or listing of basketball skills that players should know by each grade or age? Our travel program is trying to build a teaching framework for coaches across our teams, so that our players build their skills from year to year. Thanks for your help,

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 09:11 
Site Admin

This might help:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/teach-youth.html

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 11:46 

That is a great article Joe... I think that will help those coaches a lot.

Here is something else I helped with. A guy that used to be a manager for me called and wanted my help in organizing the progression as to what to teach. I met with the coaches that had been in the program for a few years.... a little difficult to "suggest" things to them since they were a little set in thier ways. They did take to some of the ideas but at least I got them to talk to each other about what each level wanted from the kids as they moved up the ladder.

So, print this article out for your coaches, have a meeting and do a little brainstorming for your program.

PostPosted: 02 May 2014, 21:38 

I just want to get your opinion on this one..

"Individual Skills and Team Skills are two different skills that coaches needs to prepare and develop"

What is your approach? And how do you do it?

Comments and feedback will be appreciated.

PostPosted: 03 May 2014, 05:49 
Site Admin

I'd say yes and no. Dividing up individual and team skills can help a coach get organized and maintain a little sanity.

But when coaching a team those lines get blurred. We often combine individual skill development with our team aspects. For example we might have one drill that allows us to build a piece of our team offense and improve individual skill at the same time. We do a lot of multii-purpose drills. Tons of them. And lots of competitive stuff too where we play 1v2, 2v2, 2v1, etc to improve ballhandling decision making, cutting, fnishing, spacing, etc.

In addition, is decision making an individual or team skill? Is reading a ball screen a team skill or individual? Are all the reads and aspects of an away screen team or individual skills?

I think coaches have different opinions on where things like this fit. It starts to blur together quite a bit.

Bottom line I think it's a matter of categorizing things in a way that makes sense to you. There's no right or wrong way.