All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 21:06 

I feel like I have a good understanding of shooting fundamentals (BEEF techniques). However, I struggle with how young players (ages 7-11) are supposed to see the basket when they are shooting. The start of the shot comes from the player's chest. The center of the ball is then pushed up past the shooter's right eye. Just as the shooter is in the main part of their shot their vision of the basket is completely blocked by the ball itself. This problem seems to correct itself as players get older and the release point is higher.

However, are young players just supposed to live with not seeing the basket as they shoot? I have a couple young players who want to shoot from the side (shooting elbow outside the body and ball coming up to the right of their eyes) so that they can see the basket, but it really does not look correct to me. The support hand needs to cross over their entire body. And I think it will be an awkward transition for them when they are ready to adjust to a high school style shot. Am I correct in forcing them to bring their elbow and the ball in- even if it causes basket blindness?

I hope this question makes sense. I get nervous when adjusting the shooting form of players. Thoughts would be appreciated. This is the best site for youth basketball!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 06:21 

First of all, kids at this age would do better shooting at an 8 foot basket.....at least the majority of them. There are some kids at 10/11 that can shoot pretty well.... but the lower basket would help them a lot,.

Take a look at this page.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting/5-shooting-mistakes.html

Most of the younger kids start their shot from the middle because its a strength thing, but if you look at that page it will show you how they should shoot. As kids get a little older and stronger shooting will be easier.

Think about this.... take one dribble using one hand and bring the ball up like you were going to shoot... you will see that the elbow is along side your body, almost directly under the ball.... as you bring the ball up (especially once you put your guide hand on the ball ) there will be a window or shot pocket so you can see the basket.

I hope I clarified this for you... if you have any more questions, please ask.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 06:30 

I might add this.... for the YOUNGER kids, I wouldn't worry too much about form....... try shooting at a 15 foot basket with a 10 lb ball and you will see what I mean.

Bob Bigleow has some great DVDs for working with / coaching youth players.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bigelow-youth-right-way.html

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 07:58 
Site Admin

According to studies with eye contact and shooting that I've came across, eye contact on the target prior to the ball passing the line of sight to the basket is the most important part of focusing on the target. It doesn't matter if there is a slight pause before releasing the shot or not. To the human eye, Stephen Curry and Steve Nash do not pause and they are some of the best shooters to ever walk the planet.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2013, 09:30 

Thanks, guys! Joe, could you elaborate a little more on your point? Are you saying that as long as the player sees the basket before the ball passes their face that they are fine? Also, I am not quite sure what you mean by a "pause." Are you saying that some players pause in air to see the rim clearly while others like Nash shoot in a continual flow? Sorry- I know I obsess over details a bit.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 07:47 
Site Admin

YouthBall wrote:
Are you saying that as long as the player sees the basket before the ball passes their face that they are fine?

Yes.

The study I came across said that optimal eye contact on the target is for one second. However, I understand that may be unrealistic in some situations.

YouthBall wrote:
Are you saying that some players pause in air to see the rim clearly while others like Nash shoot in a continual flow?

Some players will pause for a fraction of a second when they bring the ball up to from their shot pocket or waist to the position right before their follow through to the basket begins. Picture the starting position for form shooting. Some will also pause on their jump like you mentioned.

My only point is that I don't think the pause that is needed to focus on the rim. I believe the focus on the rim should be prior to the ball moving above your eyes.

I believe in getting your eyes on the rim as quick as possible and a quick, fluid release. I like to tell the players "quick and smooth".

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 20:13 

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2014, 10:01 

What do you think of the Pro Shot system by Paul Hoover?

Joe Mannello

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 06:40 
Site Admin

I think the Pro Shot ebook is a very good read and interesting. It has some unique ideas and makes you think. Every shooting coach seems to have a different opinion and perspective, so for me, reading the different perspectives helps me learn as a coach.

But with most shooting products, the biggest critique is they only teach one way to shoot. They claim their way is the best. Since they all say their way is the best and use convincing methods to persuade you, who is really right?

Like I said, it's a good read. But I think almost all shooting coaches over-complicate things and over coach shooting.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 06:47 

I agree Jeff ... I think as a coach you have to find something that you believe in and can teach your klids. THEY have to believe in you and what you are teaching too.

We had George Lehman hold a couple of shooting clinics at our school... the guy was amazing... he made me a believer and thats what I taught.