All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2013, 19:28 

I work with upper elementary level players. It is nice to be able to focus on fundamentals this time of year. I have observed that my kids all have different footwork when dribbling into a jump shot (for instance dribbling from top of the key to an elbow for a shot). Some kids like to jump stop, some do a slide, and some pivot into the shot. Traveling is common, but refs are forgiving.

I was taught to plant the inside/lead foot (foot closest to hoop) and then bring the other foot around to shooting position- kind of a 1-2-shoot approach. The kids seem uncomfortable doing this even though it seems natural to me. I have noticed that college and pro players seem to vary in their footwork on a jump shot. Some do a jump stop before the shot while others do the 1-2 approach that I attempted to describe.

I never really hear much talk about coaching footwork and I rarely see coaches working on the footwork of a jump shot. Am I over-thinking this? Do I let kids do what feels natural or do I insist on them using the 1-2 approach? I did find the below Shot Science Youtube video which seems to promote the 1-2 approach. Any thoughts on this 1-2 approach vs. using the jump stop to start the jump shot? Is working on the 1-2 approach a good use of practice time?
Thanks! Great site!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gidw3-5aVs

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 07:37 

I taught the 1 - 2 shooting approach also...... the jump stop is good as long as its within their range. I don't like that from the arc, but that is just me. We were pretty successful using the 1-2 approach. We had George Lehman come in and do a couple of shooting ( 1 day ) camps.... the guy never missed.... so who am I do challenge him?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 07:37 
Site Admin

This is a tough question and a controversial topic. You'll hear a lot of coaches that have different opinion.

I've had numerous conversations about this with my brother and other coaches. I was taught the 1-2 step too. I know really good coaches that exclusively teach that. I also know coaches that teach the hop. And I know coaches that don't teach anything.

Personally, I think you must teach footwork because it's a vital part of the game. This includes the 1-2 step (aka front pivot) off the catch, dribble, fast break, etc. I teach the 1-2 step. But I also let kids do what is comfortable (if they jump to hop to develop a rhythm) in certain situations. Shooting is all about rhythm.

Some gurus out there say the hop is quicker and what most of the pro guys do. I don't know who's right but I tend to take each player and treat them as an individual. If they've been doing the hop for a hundred years and they are extremely effective, I probably won't change them.

You can also think of the hop like this -- it's a really quick 1-2 step. In other words, if you can imagine a player driving to the basket at high speed and then hopping, left foot (inside foot) coming down, and right foot coming down a fraction of a second later. You might not even pick that up in full speed. Full speed it looks like hop landing on two feet but in slow motion you see the inside foot comes down first. The legs will be at an angle to stop momentum and transfer energy UP. It can be a real quick shot.

We work on footwork all the time. It pays off. I don't think you're over thinking. This is an important skill.

The one thing I don't allow is the player to plant their outside foot first and then step in with their inside foot. You see that a lot and it's a very inefficient way to shoot. It's not only a different shot but almost impossible to do at a high speed and high level of play.

Personally I think you practice both of types of footwork. Then let kids pick what is natural and effective for them.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 17:04 

I believe the approach before is most important. The best shooters I have seen and coached have great balance. I have taught the younger players to reduce their stride to 3/4 or even 1/2 the distance. Keeping their feet inside their shoulders. Than the final steps ( 1-2 or hop) will give them a better chance to square to basket. Maintaining balance, longer strides will come as they get comfortable with skill. I use a wall drill. If you floor has one side with only a wall, than the line is the sideline. It is a line drawn 3-5 feet from a wall. The players can dribble down the line (only 3-5 dribbles) and practice the last couple of steps, than use the 1-2 or hop to finish. Shooting into the wall and repeat. They can quickly see if they have squared to basket and not have to chase a shot. You can vary this by having the player throw a back-spin pass, go get it and use 1-2 or hop and shoot. A great way to start a practice session. Have them do a dozen of each. I have found this a great warm-up and technique developer.