All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 13:26 

Hi

My daughter is 13 and is developing into a sound player. She plays post and has great technique and pulls a lot of rebounds however she misses a ton of put back bank shots. I can't figure out what is causing her to miss so many. Im not sure If it is fatigue or if there are common mistakes kids make hat would cause them to miss theses shots. Appreciate any help you may have.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 15:31 

There could be several problems here - but since we cant see her shot I can just throw out a few ideas

It could be that she is a little nervous.... It could be lack of focus ......... (get the ball up high in the box) Maybe she is afraid of getting bumped? ( You could practice with her and make some contact with her as she goes up for the shot ) Shooting the ball too hard? I hope a few of these ideas help.

ncockerham35 wrote:
Hi

My daughter is 13 and is developing into a sound player. She plays post and has great technique and pulls a lot of rebounds however she misses a ton of put back bank shots. I can't figure out what is causing her to miss so many. Im not sure If it is fatigue or if there are common mistakes kids make hat would cause them to miss theses shots. Appreciate any help you may have.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 19:17 

Mikan drill with variations-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdT0xP4wuk

I use this drill in my practice and for my son individually. Think it's one of the most underrated drills for bigs. On the first drill with one ball on front, I tell our players to catch it at the highest point and make the shot. The tendency under the basket is to bring the ball down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx_Ix7ZWGE
Another basic but good drill

The best drill I run in practice (so this may not work for your daughter by herself) is a WAR drill. I match up 3 players by size and put them shoulder to shoulder (touching) right in front of the rim, about 4 feet away from basket. I shoot and miss a short shot, they battle against each other, grab ball and put it right back up. It's a great drill to get them to attack the basket and put it right back up.

I like Coach Sar's suggestion of bumping her around the basket. Even contact on her arm as she puts it back up, actually fouling her each time so she gets used to contact. Sometimes it's a matter of nervousness like Coach Sar mentioned, so they slam it too hard. With more experience, she'll start to develop some touch under the basket.