All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 09:06 

I'm coaching a 3rd & 4th Grade Rec team. The way the league is set up for the 1st 3 wks you practice and then the season begins. No more practice times, just games. I have 10 players and half are Couch Potato's, no hustle no desire to win. The other half are the exact opposite. I have worked with every player and explained positions, I have had practices on the weekend in the local playground. I'm just trying to get the kids to use fundamentals and have had no success, they constantly lob passes handing the ball to the other team. Last week they finally played some good defense for the 1st half, then folded in the 2nd half. I have been putting the bigger kids under the basket to get rebounds but they don't move and we can't get a rebound. So now I’m thinking to put the smaller quicker kids under the basket and let the big kids play point & guard at least they would be in position to pass. I try to equal out 2 squads and sub out at the quarter so everyone plays an equal amount, but it's not working. Maybe keeping the better kids in and having the slower kids sub through the game?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 09:13 

Coach -

This is a 3rd / 4th grade rec league team.... hopefully you taught a lot of fundamentals... and now they are playing games.... which should be all about FUN. I wouldn't worry to much about winning. Make sure that they get equal playing time too.

Look to accomplish some small goals to accomplish...... remember at this age they wont be able to shoot very well or pass. Don't beat yourself up over this. Make sure that they are having FUN and then you will too.

Good luck

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 15:53 

The most important questions are: Do you have a goofy team name? and.... Do you have some kind of cool chant or cheer you do before/after games? I'm serious. Gotta keep this stuff FUN.

Kudos to you for coaching this team. Tough level to coach, especially with your set of circumstances. The temptation will be to put the good kids in and sub the others sporadically (with the good kids still in), to hopefully "hide" their weaknesses. I would avoid this temptation.

Rec ball can get weird because it's a "come one, come all" environment. You can end up with a melting pot of talent and attitude. You will need to lower your expectations with regards to how well they perform certain skills and I wouldn't even worry about the scores in games.

I find it strange that you aren't allowed to practice at least once a week in-between games. I'd be tempted to use the local playground once a week to get more ball touches for the kids and run some fun game-like drills.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 06:10 

Well, we played last night. We lost 18 - 3. I avoided temptation and put all the kids out there for an equal amount of time. When I drafted this team, I did a favor for a couple of parents and it's burning me big time because they don't push their kids to pick up a ball and practice the basics. I had to sit down at one point after 3 consecutive travels. I had them play man to man defense, they couldn't keep up after the 1st half or got to lazy to challenge a player going to shoot. I put the bigger kids at point, thinking the faster more athletic kids would at least move around and get open; it didn't work because they couldn't pass the ball sharp enough and kept giving up the ball. The reason I can't practice is no Gym availability. Too many teams vying for to few slots and we're in the NY area and it’s to cold to practice outside. I am finagled an hour for practice and will have to just work on basics. The ones who can't dribble will have to work on that and the rest of the teams just passing and getting open.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 11:19 

Coach --

Remember the level / age group you are coaching.... this is a work in progress! This age level has a hard time doing a lot of things.... be patient and make sure they are having fun.... I seem to say that a lot... HAVE FUN.

Here is another SARism..... remember this... This is a journey, not a destination.

Teach them to have a love for the game and they will get better.... if they love it, they will work at it on thier own.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 11:41 

Here are a couple of thoughts.

First, you're in a bad league. At this level the kids need the practice time. Heck even 1 hr. a week isn't enough, but it is something. Second, try to find some gym space and practice on your own. Maybe the local elementary school or private school (small gym, but something). In my program we were able to fenagle "extra" practice time by making conversation with the school janitor. He probably enjoyed the company for the hour or two.

As for your games, whiat I have done in your situation is play my best 5 as a group -- maybe the 1st and 3rd qtr.. The other get to play the 2nd and 4th qtr. Everyone gets equal playing time per the rules, but I am looking at how good my best 5 can be together and what they need to work on. If they "win" their quarters, then great -- the final score doesn't matter. Good luck.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 13:00 

Have to agree with golf here, the league you're in seems funky. Most leagues work with local area schools to give their teams at least 1 hour per week of practice. If you can't find a place to practice like golf suggested, another option is sending the parents a few short videos to review with player. It won't replace working on things in practice, but it's better than nothing.

This is just an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SSiWGBHsem0

I used to try and match up my weaker kids with some strongs. If I had 6 strong and 4 weak, I'd put 3 strong and 2 weak on a squad and let it roll. In the end, it will probably still look pretty ugly no matter how you slice it.

Another option is to give your kids homework in between games, learning how to pivot on one foot or dribbling with both hands for 5 min every day. Before the game, have them arrive a few minutes early, ask who practiced and test them real quick. Maybe the peer pressure of some kids practicing and doing well will motivate the others. I wouldn't count on the parents to kick in here and push their kids.

Could also go to a dollar store, pick up a few cheap items and hand them out for the best_________ after a game. The best dribbler, passer, hustle, etc. Whatever you want to emphasize that game. Or? If your team can make X amount of passes, everyone gets what's in the bag.

You'll have to lower your expectations. Rec level play is just that, recreational.

EDIT: The more I thought about this, maybe a clarification e-mail to the parents about the situation at hand. The fact that you don't have practices and are trying to figure out ways to help the kids get better. Any help at home practicing during the week would be appreciated. Maybe include a few video links from youtube on a skill they can work on.