All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 16:55 

I am coaching a 5th/6th grade team. My point guard is pretty talented and can handle the ball well against pressure, dribbles well with both hands, etc.

However, he gets frustrated when the other team is pressing (yes, pressing is allowed) and the defense is very physical, bumping the dribbler, hand-checking him, etc. In my opinion, they are fouling, but since the refs don't see it that way, it must not be a foul :-(. I'd like to help teach him how to deal with this situation better, but I'm at a loss myself.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
brian

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 18:47 

I remember clearly thinking the same thing as you back when my kids ran into this, exact same age. Always seemed like the other team was bumping into our guys and causing them to lose the ball, refs never called it. Couldn't understand.

Work on drills to strengthen their dribbling each practice, weak hand dribbling and two ball dribbling drills. Teach them to be tougher and expect contact. The refs usually aren't going to rescue your dribbler, even if it looks like a foul to you. Coach your kids not to expect the refs to call it and to play through. As the kids get older, it only gets tougher out there. Make it tougher in practice than it will be in the game.

I'd work on drills where you get physical with the kids as they dribble. Slap the arm, push a bit, more than what you might find allowed in a game situation even. Teach the kids to get their non dribbling arm out to protect the ball and how to take two dribbles back to avoid trouble. If you have access to a handheld tackling pad, I'd use that in practice for some contact.

The best thing I ever did for my kids was to explain that the refs weren't going to rescue them out on the court. It took a while to sink in, but now they understand. This goes for layups to the basket, dribbling strong, playing tough defense, and learning how to protect the ball.

Let me add one thing. A lot of times dribblers get into trouble because they dribble too much. On our team, we emphasize only dribbling to the nail (on FT line) or the block. In other words, you better have a purpose for your dribble. Maybe see if your dribblers are dribbling just to dribble and that's why they get in trouble.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 19:17 

Coach Rob -

Great advice.... this is something that I was going to suggest too --

-
Coach Rob wrote:
Teach the kids to get their non dribbling arm out to protect the ball

I talked to a Varstiy point guard the other night about the same thing... I noticed this.... He was dribbling too high and he had his non shooting hand down by his side. I told him that the rule of thumb is this... the closer the defender, the lower the dribble.... and keep your arm out so they cant get to you. Let them run into your elbow if they want. (he had gotten picked about 3 or 4 times in the first quarter)

So. simply...... 1- get your arm out 2- dribble lower -- THIS will lower your BASE and make it harder to bump you around..

I hope this helps.... let us know.