All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 20:17 

Looking for some suggestions on a couple of players. I have a small team 7 players. Regardless of results I am excited to develop these 6-7th graders. I have two players of concern. One is relatively more talented comparing himself in a very small pond. My observation is he believes he is "schooling everyone". My difficulty will be getting him to buy into me and his attitude towards himself and his teammates. The truth is he has insecurity and a difficult home life. The second player gives up easily. I need to show him that there are rewards. He can get down on himself when things don't go right. He also has insecurities and a broken home life. I don't expect to wash everything away but I do expect to help them in ways I can. I was blessed not having a broken home but I can relate to kids that are somewhat misfit and believe they become some of your best players if they believe in you.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2012, 15:06 

I've found the players that think they're "schooling everyone" are often more challenging. The ones that don't have as much confidence are a bit easier because you're usually not dealing with a cocky attitude.

In the past, when I've had kids like you've described, there are usually specifics I don't like. For the more talented kid it might be shooting too many 3's or hogging the ball. For the less confident player it might be not hustling for loose balls or playing aggressive enough. When I'm communicating my expectations to the entire team I include a few things that would address those two players without singling them out. "John? Remember my rule on shooting 3's, we give 100% all the time, etc.." If you've established expectations/rules for the entire team, it's not like you're just picking on them.

I would incorporate specific drills that would help those two players. For example, "I schooled you" kid might not pass enough. Play some 3 on 3 and use the Bennett Drill (X amount of passes) or other passing drills to force that passing. If the less confident player isn't aggressive enough, use some drills that force him to toughen up a bit. You get the drift. In both cases, make a big deal out of it when they do something you like.

Last thought. Personally, I wouldn't dwell too much on the "broken home" thing. Over the years, I've watched kids use that as an excuse to act a certain way. Sounds like you have a great opportunity to help a couple of kids with some "life lessons" on the court. Tons of good teaching metaphors on the court that can be applied to life.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2012, 16:55 

Having only 7 players makes it tough, but I would spend a lot of time on fundamentals at this age. Teach them how to play as a team and the importance of depending on each other. One person cant win a game, it takes everyone. Play some 3 on 3, with games to 4 where EVERYONE has to score ONCE before any player can score the game winner... or you can choose who gets that shot. This way they HAVE to play as a team.

Your kids need to know that you really care about them... not just as basketball players - but as people. IF you can get this across to them, they
will be willing to do anything for you. Make your practices fun so they want to come back and they want to play for you. They will look up to you for guidance - maybe even as a father figure. Pretty sensitive age, especially if they are having a tough time at home and feel insecure. They will need a lot of attaboys.

I think this squad needs a lot more than just basketball for this season. You want them to come away with a very positive attitude about themselves once the season is over. This is a lot more important than the Ws and Ls.