All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 04:53 

What are your views on preseason conditioning for 5th grade girls? I also would like your opinion on requiring sports physicals before practice. We had a long season this last year some of my kids have played 40 plus games and had about 50 practices, with multiple weeks off at a time of course I am not drilling them by far however I am A VOLUNTEER and do provide an out of school program I was just wondering if I should have the kids cleared first by a DR. to make sure they can withstand the exercise? I am covered by the AAU and other organizations that's not my worry, I just care if the kids are OK to do it. Thanks Coach Crist

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 06:07 
Site Admin

I don't believe in the "traditional pre-season conditioning" for 5th graders. If you're talking about running laps around the track, cross country, up downs in the gym, etc I don't think that's a good idea.

With young kids like this there are more important things and you don't want to burn them out and make basketball a negative experience. It's important to foster a love for the game. Making it too much like a job will drive them away.

Now if you are going to do "non-traditional conditioning" that could be a good thing and highly recommended. Age appropriate athletic development so kids learn balance, spatial awareness, coordination, strength, agility, conditioning, etc are essential things to do. Ideally these are games that help them develop as athletes so they can have fun with it. And if possible, have a ball in their hands so they learn skill and improve athleticism at the same time.

For physicals, I don't think that would be a bad idea if their school doesn't already have them doing that.

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 16:02 

yes Jeff I agree all the way, I needed to explain better I guess, I was speaking of non-traditional training. I want to increase there overall athletic ability with agility training, (relay races with prizes) I could use some spacing awareness games if you have any ideas. but I agree I wouldn't run laps or make it hard work that they were aware of. I feel they can get in condition playing tag, dribble tag etc. Thanks