All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 14:23 

Love your site. I have used it extensively over the last 3 years as I was coaching my son`s teams. Purchased several of the DVDs too, which were very helpful. He will be a 6th grader next year. He has asked me to help him with his dribbling this Summer so he can be better prepared for next year`s season. As much as I love basketball and am glad that he has taken an interest in improving, I don`t necessarily want him to get burned out either by spending too much time on it. Having said all that, what specific drills would you recommend he do, for how many minutes a day, and for how many days per week? Thanks!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 15:00 

First of all, whatever YOU decide on, make sure its FUN! Every kid is different.... so you might sit down with him and talk about what HE wants to do, how much time he wants to spend on it. Maybe you can do somethings with him to make sure he is having fun. Make sure that he does some other things this summer also.... swim. baseball etc. Its a lot better to become a well rounded athlete than it is to just work on one sport... it can burn you out mentally and physically.

Here are some drills that you might consider... but remind him, that he has to have a good all around game - shooting, passing etc.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/ballhandling.html

I just came back from visiting a young man that played for me years ago, he has a 9 year old son that practices a lot... he is a great shooter - he makes 84 out of a 100 free throws and isn't happy... I told Brian that his sone needs to lighten up a bit, have fun and be a kid. I think he is in competition with his dad LOL

So as long as your son is having fun, I wouldn't be too concerned. You might pick out some drills and change what he does eveyday... OR. you can say, every other day you can work on Bball.... work it in between other sports, things of that nature. IF it was ME, I wouldn't let him do this every day, but thats just me - I would encourage playing other sports.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 18:36 
Site Admin

For a ballhandling workout, I generally spend a little time (5 to 10 minutes) on each of the 5 areas mentioned in this article:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/everything-good-ball-handler.html

You can find drills that help in all five areas at the link Coach Sar gave you. You can also come up with your own drills by setting up chairs and cones to create situations. Just think of different things that happen in games and do those things with one and two basketballs.

If you can't get in a gym, you can at least practice some of the stationary feel and control drills. I would practice 25-45 minutes 3-5 days a week. Another option is to practice 10 minutes every day. Some kids like practicing just a little bit each day and stick to that better. It all depends on the player.

Lastly, setting up competitive situations to handle the ball can be effective. 1on1 full court, 1on2 full court, etc.

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 10:33 

2 ball dribbling drills are effective. I use them at almost all my practices. Start stationary, progress to walking...jogging then running while dribbling 2 balls.