All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 06:19 

Al: ok, three peat, three in a row...your coach must be doing something right..so thats where you start. You know he has the knowledge, and has the game smarts..so what is his relatioinshp with his team. Is he abusive, is he dictatorial, does he not listen to suggestins..please tell me more details about your coach...Al, he has helped you win two championships..he mus know his stuff, so what is the problem between him and some of the players.ingat..coach Mac..

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 07:35 

Al, Coach Mac has some great advice here..... why don't you sit down with the coach and talk about the team.... ask him IF YOU can HELP in any way??

Give us some particular instances that we can give you some concrete advice.

Here is something that the players on your team might benefit from - they NEED to start thinking about the TEAM and NOT themselves.

"Recognize and reward players who put the team first, not just the gifted ones."

Don Meyer

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 14:18 

Coach Mac,

Actually it was our former coach who mold us from the begging we we're formed. He handled us for two years and he was a great coach because he's not only developing us a player but also as a good student and a person. He's always there to give advise even in our personal problems. But unfortunately the school didn't hire him anymore on our 3rd year. Our team is actually on its fifth year now. It was just lucky to our new coach who handled us after him because at that time we're all at the peak that's why we won two consecutive championships in his leadership. Now that almost of my former team mates graduated last year, I'm one from the four veterans left in the team. Since the team are almost rookies our coach (new coach) as I can see he cannot handle well the team. He's not talking to us that often compare to our former coach. Even he's not monitoring the performance of the rookies regarding with their studies or even giving advise to the new ones if they have problems. He just let them do things the way they gonna do it that's why I'm the one who act on it as their team capt.

Our coach is not abusive or even dictatorial but as I can see he lacks psychological knowledge on how to take care of the team. He's not fair to everyone ex. all of the players are doing great in practice but during the game he only uses just only 6-7 man rotation even those players are getting exhausted and making mistakes inside the court. I don't know if he has favoritism but obviously he has (in my opinion) that's why some of the players losing their composure and most of them are now getting lazy even going to practice because they thinks that "why go into practice if your practice doesn't put on it"- this is from my team mate he's from Guam. And even one time he ask one of my team mate for a fight just because of a question, that was (my team mate is ask him if what is his philosophy and system for the team) because until now it's not that clear for us. He's just yelling most of the times if the rookies committed mistakes he doesn't explain to them what to do so that next time they would not do it again For me he's the kind of coach that always wants to win games but he didn't try winning his players heart. It seems that he's just there to coach us but he's not their to make us good persons and be great players. Hope you get what I mean.

My comment to the quote: Our coach only recognize only to those who are gifted ones (he wants players that are scorers even they are not playing good defense, he don't yell at them even they are committing errors but he's very angry to those players that are not good but doing things right when they commit mistakes even just a little. He didn't recognize those who work hard for the team.

Those rookies cannot absorb things our coach wanted to do that's why conflict and misunderstanding rises.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 18:40 

Al: What you are telling me fits way too many coaches in this world, however, what you told me can also be said to your coach if you can do that in a very diplomatic way. You need to schedule a meeting with him but away from the gym and just as you wrote, you say those things to him. If he's any kind of a coach, he will listen and hopefully see and realize that there are problems. If he's the other type of coach, then he will listen half heartedly and things will remain the same and if hes the latter, well my best advice to you is to simply suck it up and play your game. You only have this one year to go then you enter the rough tough world of work and there you will meet many people like your coach. I'm sorry that this is happening to you as you sound like a decent young man one that cares. However, its only a game Al and getting an ulcer over it at this stage of your career is just not worth it. Relish in your past championships with your former coach enjoy those memories. By the way, why was your previous coach not hired back? it seems strange that following two consecutive championships he would be released. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 21:06 

Hahaha you're funny coach Mac. Aight i'll suck it, lol!
By the way I don't know what's the real reason why he was not hired back but I'm hearing feedbacks that one of the priest in our school doesn't like him because he used to speak bad words during games and practices. And in other hand I heard that he has mis-understanding with some school officials.

To coach Mac, coach Sar, coach Springer thank you for all the advices and tips you gave. You guys are great and I will be learning from this.

God Bless to all and "INGAT KAYO PALAGI!" (take care always)

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 21:32 

Al,

Good luck, hang in there, there are lessons to be learned from every experience, good or bad. Do your best to be a leader, enjoy your last year, have some fun. WE had a saying, PLAY HARD, PLAY SMART and HAVE FUN.

Try to be a teacher to the younger guys - talk to the coach like Coach Mac suggested and see where that goes.

God Bless You too! Thanks for the kind words.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 21:51 

I love the philipinos, some of the most accomodating people on earth. I have many friends in Hong Kong frm the phillipines they are simply wonderful people. When I went there, I had a great time and have many beautiful memories. I fully understand the reasons for your former coach getting fired, I coached in an all catholic girls college in Ohio U.S.A.and saw first hand how the politics of catholisism work. Good luck to you young man and perhaps if I visit your country again we can get together and have a meal. I too speak a little tagalog...iingat Coach Mac

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 06:51 

Bottom line - there is vry little loyalty in the business world and schools are no exception ... so be loyal to yourself and the program... try to get all the players to stick together - think of it as one BIG FAMILY.