All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 12:19 

Looking for thoughts and opinions on this...

I run an AAU club in my area and am primarily coaching a high school varsity level team this spring. Our current roster is made up of 10 players, most of whom are varsity starters or first 1-2 off the bench. We are mostly 10th grade, with 2 9th grade and 1 11th grade. Last night I got contacted by a local parent of a freshman that is suddenly looking for a team since hers disbanded this week. He wants her and another freshman teammate to stay together to keep their chemistry, etc. Both of these freshman played good minutes as varsity players and were reliable scorers/defenders.

I would hate to carry 12 girls. We did it last year and it worked at times. When we were healthy we split them into two equal groups and just rotated them every 5 minutes in games. Then as game went on in the second half we would shorten that to an 8 or so rotation. Honestly, we were probably 8 deep last year, with the last 4 not being close in talent to the top 8. If we went with 12 this year, the group is a little different as we had some roster turnover and we would be looking at 10-11 out of the 12 that are starting caliber. So those crunch time minutes get a little weird trying to allocate them.

I don't really have another place on any of out other teams for these girls. The only other option I can think of is to take the 10th girl that just joined us and move her to our other high school team. Then I could take the two other girls and both teams would have 11.

I know there might be some instances where girls have conflicts with track or softball as well.

Any thoughts? And yes, I know, the ideal aau roster is 8-10. But our area doesn't have much locally and we tend to run into this problem.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2020, 13:11 
Site Admin

Personally, I like having a team of 11 or 12 players for club basketball team (but only take 9 to tournaments). That way I know we'll almost always have at least 10 players at practice. And for tournament s, if everyone is available, we rotate which players stay home. We limit the tournament rosters to a max of 9. It's a little more work because we add a couple tournaments to the schedule. But I just feel this is a better use of my time. I get frustrated if we consistently have less than 8 players at practice because of conflicts, injuries, sickness, etc.

So I think 11 or 12 player roster is ideal. Then either rotate which players stay home for tournaments. Or you're 11th and 12th player could be "alternates".... which means they come to all the practices but only go to tournaments if there are players missing and you need a sub to get to 9 player roster. That can work too.