All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020, 10:30 

I coach middle school girls. We lost a game we shouldn’t have last night but with 32 turnovers, you’re going to lose. My PG/captains head was NOT in the game. Twenty of those turnovers were hers. My biggest issue is that she gave up in the last quarter. We lost by 10 but it was a much closer game than that. We had to foul because of stalling which sent their best shooter to the line.

What do I do or say to her to help her understand that as captain, she has to be able to lead her team. She was frustrated and complaining about calls etc.

I have never seen her like this.

I appreciate any insight.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 13:26 
Site Admin

Hard to say. Sometimes doing nothing is the best approach. You know your players. We don't.

Sometimes kids have personal stuff going on... family problems, boyfriend, etc. You never know if something is happening that you are unaware of. Sometimes it's just a really bad day.

If it continues maybe you want to just remind and set expectations about how to be a leader. Maybe just ask... hey what's up? How are things going? Everything ok with school? At home? Maybe she will open up if anything happens to be going on.

Think about how you would want to be treated if you were a player. That can help provide some clarity on how to handle things.

Good luck!