All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 08:22 

There are a couple fall basketball leagues in my area. They serve as a nice warmup for players to get ready for the school season. But it can get to be a pain to drive almost an hour away and spend several hours there every Sunday in the fall (I have 4 teams in my AAU organization and currently coach 3 of them).

I have been toying with the idea of starting my own 3v3 league to play in September and October. I think we could get all 40ish players in my org to participate and I have some good relationships with area coaches so I think we could get additional jr high and high school players to join in as well.

I'd appreciate any comments, tips, whatever you guys may have. Some of my thoughts on running this are:
- No signing up as teams. I will put all names in a hat and blindly draw them into teams of 4.
- Each team would play 3-4 games each Sunday. Not sure if these games will be timed (20 minutes) or played to a specific score (11 maybe?)
- We'll keep standings and the final Sunday would be a round robin tournament.
- We shouldn't need actual refs, so cost will automatically be down! I would just have myself and a few other trusted adults monitor each court. Just have to cover gym time and tshirts for each team.
- Not sure how we would do age divisions. I would anticipate it being primarily 6th grade and higher. So maybe a jr high division and a high school division.
- The gym we usually use has the two main hoops and 3 hoops off each sideline. 8 hoops total. We would likely use the 2 main baskets and then the middle basket on each sideline. So we could have 4 games playing at once.

Anyone else have any experience with something like this?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 10:57 

Haven't run a full-blown league, but coached in tons of 3 v 3.

Sounds like you have it down. As long as you have a "ref/coach" on each court for each game, I think you have that part covered.

Not sure I agree with "teams out of a hat", but I'm sure you have your reasons. My take on 3v3 is that it's less serious and more of a fun league. So friends want to play together. I understand that can mess with the parity. Kind of fun though to come up with some goofy team names and play with your friends.

You already know this, but the age divisions can get funky if you don't have enough participants. Played in some that grouped several grades together and sometimes the kid with the "mustache" dominated in the 6th-grade division.

Who knows? This could be the start of a new league in your area.