All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 09:59 

Hello, I know this isn't necessarily basketball strategy related, but I coach a 6th-8th grade middle school team. We are a small school (K-8) with only about 400 students total.

Needless to say we don't have a "gym" we have a cafeteria. Now, our floor is linoleum and seemingly gets re-finished on the same cycle as the US elections. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion or has used any products that they wax their floor. We have the mop zamboni thing, but all that does is take the polish off the floor from what I can tell.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm tired of the referee having to talk to both coaches about how they are going to be easy with travelling because the kids tend to slide when they stop.

Thanks!

Coach Pectol

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 13:03 

I'm guessing your floor isn't linoleum, but VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile)? Tile squares?

1) You could try dust mopping before a game. Not sure I would used a treated mop as those are usually treated with oils.

2) See if there's someone in the school who owns or knows someone in a cleaning company. Maybe they could do a discounted or charitable donation of scrubbing and recoating your floors?

Not sure what the "mop zamboni thing" is, but I'm guessing some type of scrubber which is usually good if the pads aren't too aggressive. Overtime, floors (especially VCT) just get worn out from all the traffic, so there's just nothing left but tile. They usually get refinished at least twice a year (winter and summer break) and in your case, twice would be preferred.