All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 03:57 

I am coaching a high school CYO basketball team. I anticipate having several returnees from last year's team (anywhere from 7 to 11) and several players from our junior high program (as many as 10), plus a few new players. I'm looking at the possible need to split into two teams. Do you have any advice, or can you point to someone who can give advice, on how to go about splitting the players up. I would prefer to keep the returning high school players together, but don't want to have the younger players stuck on a team where they are over their heads. Any help you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
-Ray Bara-

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 07:07 
Site Admin

Sounds to me like you have enough for two teams? My first reaction is you have two teams..

Varsity (top 9-12)
Junior Varsity (bottom 9-12)

You could call them White and Red or whatever. In most high schools they have Varsity and JV teams.

If you split into two teams, you will almost certainly have a few players on the fence where they are probably a little too good to be on JV (don't get challenged enough) but not quite ready for Varsity (won't get enough playing time). In this case I would have those players dress for Varsity games and attend at least some of the practices (they might get extra practices). If they work hard, improve, show they can contribute to varsity, and earn opportunities.... then you should consider moving them up.

I have seen a lot of situations where players move up after two days or practice or move up later in the season. I have also seen situations where players are caught in the middle.

You can always reach out to use if you have more questions or need help as you go along.

Also, I might wait a week or two before finalizing your rosters. Practice for a little bit to make sure you place players in the right team. It's easy to move players up... but very hard to move them down (hurts confidence and often hard for players to mentally recover from that).

Also, here are tryout drills if you decide to conduct tryouts:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/haefner/15-basketball-tryout-drills-for-efficiently-evaluating-players/

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 09:52 

I'm with Jeff on this one. I would conduct tryouts and give players who want an opportunity to make varsity the ability to do so. The JV players that show improvement during the year should have the opportunity to move up.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 11:42 

Coaches, thanks for your advice. Here is the problem: All of these players are "varsity" age players, so I have no junior varsity option. There is a single high school level, where all 20 or so players must be put on the team. Should I just have a tryout and pick the teams evenly. This is a recreational level team, so often friends want to stay together (even though the friends' talent levels might not be the same). Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 14:40 

If you don't have some type of protocol or criteria for picking the teams, you could run into unhappy kids or parents. You know the situation better than we do regarding personalities and who could take offense at the way you picked the teams.