All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 23:21 

Ok, I'm running our county's youth league and I want all players to play as close to an equal amount as possible. I have the players numbered so coaches will play like #1-5 the first quarter and 6,7,8,1,2 in the 2nd quarter (if they have 8 players) and so for so each player plays equal amounts. I don't like the old "each player gets to play at least 2 quarters" rule we use to use. My issue revolves around foul trouble. Should I just allow coaches to sub in the next player in the rotation when a player gets in foul trouble? Is there another option. I have all teams divided equally and players of equal ability have the same number so subbing creates possible mismatches, but I guess that's just something we'll deal with. Anyone have any thoughts or experience in this area. The leagues this will impact are 3rd-5th grades and 6th grade and up.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 23:46 

I applaud you for emphasizing equal play-time for the players, this definitely needs to be a priority in more youth leagues over winning. Having said that, I would submit that you don't want to make this too difficult for the coaches. Remember, they're dealing with developing players, parents, refs, and even though you're not emphasizing winning, no one likes to be in last place. Making the equal play-time too complicated could add one more thing the coaches have to juggle each week. Foul trouble is just part of learning how to play basketball, so I'm not sure I'd structure your play-time rules around potential foul trouble.

It's easier for a coach to manage players based on quarters or a certain amount of minutes. Your number scheme seems like it might work, but have you run that by the coaches? If you have the time, maybe send out a brief poll and see what they say.

You could also hand out awards as a league director for things like best sportsmanship, most improved, etc. The coaches could pick the winners each week or every other week. You could include the coaches and hand out coach of the week awards based on how well they teach the fundamentals, work on equal play-time and if their kids are having fun or not.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 10:26 

Our local rec league plays 20 minute halves. Subs happen every 5 minutes. The refs have become pretty good about stopping play at the 5 minute interval to run the subs in. If you are on the bench when it's time to sub, then you must enter the game. Everybody must play equal time. Our rec program has tried to make it especially easy on the coaches by allotting 8 players per team. With subs every five minutes in a 40 minute game, it means each player is playing 5 "periods", or 25 minutes per game.

Obviously that changes slightly is there are 7 or 9 players. But the goal is 8 players.

Just something to think about from a math perspective.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 11:41 

I like what coachmt had to say about the refs. The more I thought about this, it helps tremendously if the refs, parents and coaches are all on the same page. Even with certain play-time rules in places I've seen folks really not catch the intent of why that play-time rule is in place. The more you can get everyone on the same page regarding your league philosophy, the more success you'll have.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:40 

Don't forget Mother's Day is May 8th!  Its early this year so don't forget MOM!!!  All moms, grandma's and all the special women in your life will appreciate your thoughtfulness on this special day which celebrates WOMEN.