All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 15:09 

Curious what the official rules are regarding a dead ball throw-in? I teach my kids to set-up their inbounds play or press break by yelling the instructions BEFORE the ref hands them the ball. They'll tell me the ref hands them or tosses the ball at them quickly which starts the clock, correct?

I've told my players to refuse the ball if our guys are lined up correctly. We're not talking major time here, but is their a rule regarding that? Can a player not take the ball from a ref for a few seconds while the other players set-up?

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 17:05 

Rob -

I'm not sure if there is a rule about that... but once your kid steps out of bounds, typically the ref hands or tosses them the ball. The ref will start the count as soon as you get the ball.

Here are two things we did.... our kid did not step out of bounds until he called the play, that gives the players some time to set up... move slowly - walk out of bounds with your back towards the ref... a couple more seconds here.... then turn and face him, once the ref hands you the ball, your players should start whatever action you have set up for them.

Don't wait to slap the ball....do it as soon as the ball is handed to you.... gives you another second or so.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 12:46 

Great tips, thanks! Talked about it and reviewed in practice last night.

One more question: Did you assign one person to throw it in? I have one player as my throw-in for presses with one back-up. I haven't really established that for inbounds plays, probably should, huh?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 14:01 

We had a specific player to inbound the ball..... I wanted to make sur that we didn't turn it over just inbounding. For our press offense it was one kid, for our inbounds plays, it was someone else. Sometimes I had a play where I needed a specific player... like a sideline play where the first option was a skip pass for a 3, I had a soccer player as the inbounder on that play.

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 14:57 

I definitely have a strategy with my press break throw-in player, works well. The inbounds throw-in is tougher.

What did you look for on someone throwing in along the end line?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2012, 17:52 

Very simple..... someone who can get the ball inbounds without throwing it away.

There were a few times that I had one kid that I would take out just to put in someone who I trusted more.