All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 19:22 

Hi, I coach U16 boys who mostly I have coached before and I get a very good response from them, but there are a couple who have been coached by their mom's all their lives and last season by a male assistant coach who was 16years old at the time. I find this boy doesn't respond well to my instructions, in fact I feel he ignores what I say and as a point guard, he has a lot of control over the game, an so far the games are not going well because he instructs to do things we didn't practice for. He has missed training, for valid reasons I suppose, but during the first one that he attended he was disruptive. I heard that he misses his assistant coach. I would like some advise on how to deal with this situation, without crashing his spirit, and also without offending his mom's who is also a coach and a friend. I also would like to get advise on how to get players to implement what we practice at training. They seem to forget what to do in the game. we have been practicing for five weeks now during grading, and at our first official game, nothing was done. Thank you

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 12:37 

Dan -

Tough situation ... maybe you can sit down with him ( the point guard ) and his back up if you have one. Talk to them about the job of being the point guard - which is being the coach on the floor and running the team according to the coaches philosophy. Explain exactly what you want done offensively and defensively.
You might try splitting the playing time between them.... give the one that does the better job more time and hopefully the other will get the idea. If that doesn't work, then you play the other kid until he does! He has to understand that this is a team game and the point guard is the one that is supposed to make everyone better.
If his mom has coached before she must know that everyone has to be on the same page.... he (or anyone else for that matter) can play for himself. You can always sit down with her and explain your philosophy and where you are coming from.
You say that after 5 weeks of practice they aren't doing the things you teach them during practice? You might take a look at what you are doing and simplify it a little bit... sometimes less is more. Its not always how much you do, its more about what you do, you do well.
I hope this helps you a little.

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 12:42 

Let me add this to what I said before... lean on the kids you have coached before... look for some leadership from them.... maybe that will wake him up. When you talk to this kid, find out where he is coming from and what he expects from you and the team. Have your conversation with him away from the team.

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 19:30 

Thank you so much Coach Sar, It is reassuring and encouraging what you say, and confirms my line of thought too. I feel much better now. I will reduce the amount of information I give them and simplify as you said. Great help, Thank you so much.
I also wanted to mention that I thought the fact that I am a female coach with 14 and 15 year old boys may make it more difficult, Do you think they might relate better if I have the assistance of a male such as my husband or another parent?
Thanks again
Flavia

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 19:35 

You're welcome....

14-15 year old boys who feel that they know more than women about the game... tough gig.

Having your husband help out might make a difference... but the key is to make sure that they understand that you are the boss / head coach and that you know and understand the game. So stay on top of them, do your homework about the game and have good practice plans.

I hope this helps too.

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 19:41 

Thanks so much coach!
You don't know how much your words mean to me. I though I was doing everything wrong and it was probably time for me to give up the job. I haven't been able to sleep the last few days.
This is great support you provide!
Kindest Regards
Flavia

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 20:21 

Don't lose sleep over this,,,,, remember, its just a game with kids running around in short pants ( I think Al McGuire said that )

Just stay one or two steps ahead of them and you will be fine. Being a good coach takes experience so don't be too hard on yourself.

I'm glad to be of help... and IF you need anything else, don't hesistate to ask.

GOOD LUCK

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 20:24 

If you look at the top left hand side of this page... you will find a lot of things that can help you.... drills and techniques etc.

COACHING BASKETBALL
PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
BASKETBALL DRILLS
BASKETBALL PLAYS
OFFENSE
DEFENSE

Browse through all of these and pick out things that can help you and your players. Make sure that you have a good practice plan... keep each segment short - 5-10 minutes each, keep them moving.

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 21:41 

I will. I usually have questions to ask, so I am sure we'll talk again.
Thanks Again.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 19:16 

Flavfia: Young lady, you are in a very difficult place. However, Coach Sar has given you wonderful advice. In my opinion, this kid will never give you the respect you deserve as a coach until you take back control of YOUR team. Chauvinism once again rears its ugly head. But you must decide, is he worth keeping, is it worth all the aggravation you will face to keep this kid satisfied. what is difficult to read, is the influence he has on the rest of your team and this will surely cause you problems in the near future. If this kid misses his other coach, then go play for him and good luck. I have always thought, the best position for a player with an attitude was that space right beside me on the bench. In my opinion, no player is irreplaceable. When I coached in Canada, I had a great player who came with the same attitude you are describing. I spoke with his mother, (who didn't think her son was getting a fair deal because he was black) which was crap because I am half native Canadian. to make a long story short, this young man occupied that space beside me until one day he wanted to talk to me. He began with "coach I am one of the best players on this team," I agreed, then he asked "why am i not playing?" I said you know the answer to that and once you figure it out, then you will begin play. He sat the next three games then said to me ok coach I get it. This young man went on to play NCAA basketball at St Johns and had a two year stint with the Toronto raptors of the NBA. He is now a college coach and has on several occasions asked me for advice on some similar situations..Hope this helps...
Coach Mac