All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 10:25 

We just played our first game of the season on Saturday and did well above average in every area...very, very pleased with the kids and what they did as I was worried after only seeing how they were doing in practices.

We did however have a couple of kids struggle with being able to convert on some easy put back attempts. I don't know the name of it but in years past I have always used the drill where three kids are in the lane, the coach shoots and whoever rebounds becomes the offensive player while the other two are defenders.

I was just wondering if anyone had any favorite drills they like to use to get kids to be able to get the rebound and go right back up with it, even in traffic. These are seventh and eighth graders.

Thanks

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 11:46 

I used this drill also... and that is as good as any to promote aggressiveness under the glass. Try to get them to keep the ball high and maybe head fake and go right up strong... its kind of a mentality that no one is going to stop me.

From this site:
Mental Aspects
There is no question that post players must be mentally tougher than the other positions on the court. To start with, the game and the court are longer for post players than for the other players. Perimeter players may go long stretches of time without ever going past the foul line yet post players must run every play endline to endline. Perimeter players can avoid contact, especially when they don't have the ball. Post players are physical on every play, whether they have the ball or not. Perimeter players have the ball, post players must get the ball.

It all adds up to what could be a frustrating time, especially when your post player is not getting enough touches. Regardless, he has to be tough enough to play every play, regardless of the situation. He must do it again and again, play after play, game after game.

Coaches must take this aspect of the game and give it special attention. Pete Gillen, the great former coach at Virginia has a phrase he would use over and over again, "Let the big dog eat!" Other wise you run the risk of coaching a "bagel" (plenty of stuff outside and a hole in the middle).

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 13:47 
Site Admin

I have the same problem with 9th graders I work with. With experience, encouragement, and more skill development, they will start making the baskets. They tend to rush in the heat of the game. For now, instead of trying to work miracles and suddenly get them to start making those baskets, I just emphasize rebounding. So I guess I don't worry about it too much. Just tell them to be calm when they get it inside and keep working on our post play fundamentals in practice.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2011, 13:51 
Site Admin

BTW, for post play fundamentals we do lots of footwork near the basket and then add competitive aspects (1on1 simulations) once the get somewhat comfortable with their feet. We have everyone work on post footwork and they work on it for as long as they play basketball (the footwork in the post is exactly the same on the perimeter for guards). Most of the things we use came from Don Kelbick:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/post-play.html