All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 09:09 

This season will be my first season coaching girls high school basketballs I have download the free drills and plays that you guys have sent to my email address. I have a question about the drills and plays They have elementary drills and then they have Junior high plays and drill does this mean that I can run the Junior high plays with my JV high school girls basketball team or should I run high school plays and drills. I am just trying to put my team in a very great position to get better at the game of basketball and also win some games as a coach so all the drills and plays that I run I would like for them to be for the right age.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 17:20 
Site Admin

You could use any of the drills and plays in those ebooks. It just depends on the skill level of the players, what you need to work on, time of year, etc. Figure out what you need to work on, then use the ebooks as reference to find drills that might work for that particular practice. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 06:50 

I coached varsity boys for 16 years and in my last year I coached sophomore girls.... I thought I could use all the stuff the boys did... and after the first practice I realized that they couldn't pass or catch the ball... and on the move, forget it.
From that day on we ran a lot of passing drills, everyone I could remember anyway.... they got a ton better... taught them how to play REAL m2m defense and we became very competitive right away.
Take a look at your team, write down every area that you feel they need work on... make good practice plans and then get after it.... don't be afraid to be flexible from time to time. Shooting, defensive drills etc are just that... you can adjust them as you go along or find something that is better for your kids.
As for plays/offense, teach them how to play the game - some type of continuity offense -motion preferably .... teaching plays alone is just that... plays, kind of like robotic basketball... very easy to defend.
Make yourself some kind of plan... Goals - where do you want your program to be 3 years down the road, face it, unless you are loaded you wont be winning the state championship this year... be patient with your kids AND yourself......and remember, build from the ground up.... your lower levels will be very important to the success of your program down the road.... good luck and let us know how its going.