All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 09:44 

I am in my first year coaching. I coach a small high school girls varsitybasketball team. I have 6 girls. Therefore making it VERY difficult on me to have effective practices. To me, chairs only go so far when I am trying to get the girls to go overtheir offense. I just feel very discouraged coming into the end of the season. Any pointers at all will help. Maybe sample practice plans, and even a few pointers in the coachingdepartment. :)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011, 10:56 
Site Admin

It's hard to know where to even start. So many pointers and ideas for practice plans to even start thinking about listing. So I'll just throw out a few ideas regarding the 6 player issue...

- see if you can recruit a few players. find something to make the program unique and exciting. we are talking marketing here. you need to learn how to market the program, generate some interest, and get a couple players on board.

- can you move up some younger players?

- try scrimmaging boys and any other team as often as you can scrounge them up. have controlled half court scrimmages and shell drills when you have other kids to practice against.

- 3 on 3 no pass drills and various rules are great for developing offense, skills, and good habits.

- lots of 5 on 0 drills but I'm sure you already do that.

- recruit some more coaches so you can have 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 controlled scrimmages. not sure if it's a rule violation but maybe graduated players will come back and add some bodies for you to practice against.

Keep teaching, motivating, and providing leadership.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/mental/motivate-players.html

No reason you can't have the scrappiest defensive and rebounding team in the area. Rotate those 6 players, get them in good shape, and take strategic time outs so they can rest. Then just have a really scrap half court defense and tenacious rebounding. You don't need lots of players to teach defense and rebounding.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011, 11:39 

That's gotta be tough coach!!

You can still practice your offensive sets and OOB plays with 5 players and rotate the 6th in.

You can always run 3 man weave, which is a good drill.
3 on 3 hoop 1/2 court is always a good for game simulation even if it's half court

2 ball, 3 man shooting drill is good. 3 girls around perimeter inside of arc, 2 girls with balls, first girls shoots runs in for rebound, other girls shoots runs in for rebound, first girl passes to 3rd girl waiting to shoot, after she passes she finds a random spot on court an dgets ready for pass from 2nd girl who just ran in to get her rebound. This is a very dynamic drill, should always be 1 girl waiting for pass, shooters shoot, run in, get rebound pass to whoever is open, then move to a spot because next girl is going to pass it her.

For defense, try to recruit practice players, parents, other coaches...somehow try to get 10 players total so girls can play defense against a makeshift opponent.

Good Luck!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 20:12 

I have coached in very large schools and very small schools, only graduating 15 students a year. If you send me your email, I will send you some pratice plans that I used this year for my girls' team. I have coached 28 seasons, at various levels and both genders. This year was my first year with the girls' varsity team and I worked extremely hard at getting girls involved. I only had seven girls, so I hope that this helps. Also, my team was very very small, two girls were 4'11", two girls 5'0", one 5'1", one 5'3", and 5'6" was my tallest. Developing a defensive mentality is the most important thing for you as a coach. We only ran man to man and a very aggressive 1-3-1 trapping zone. We labeled it 43, 33, 23, and 13. 4 means full court, 3 three quarter, 2 half court, and 1 is pack line rules inside the 3 point line. Trapping was essentail for our success this year to take teams out of what they wanted to run and just make them play basketball.

First, buy yourself some basic agility poles, you can find them at http://www.kbacoach.com. You can set them up and do many offensive drills for your girls to work on. These work great if many teams play zone against you. I use them to work on screen and roll situations to start the year and then adjust to using our defensive rules for the pick and role. 2 on 0, 2 on 1, 2 on 2, 2 on 3, 3 on 3, and for us 3 on 4 and 4 on 3. I use more defensive players to reinforce our helping rules on screen and rolls

Secondly, try to think of things that girls want to be a part of. I had the girls adopt a family for X-mas this year and next year more girls want to play because of things we did.

Hope this helps a little,
Coach M