All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 11:37 

I am a high school girls basketball coach.. I have a total of 10 players most all of the are freshmen and soph. My biggest issue with them is that they will not go hard in practice they have terrible attitudes and they don't want to listen to me or the other coaches. We have rules and we are very consistent with them. We have organized practice schedules, we punish them for bad behavior (sprints) we have yelled at them and we have explained to them why it's important to pay attention. We even have goals in place for each game and practice.. But the girls are so set on not listening to us!! I don't know what to do with them!! I can\'t teach effort or pride.. So I\'m looking for some advice.. What should I do about this?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:28 

I would rather have kids that listen than kids with a lot of talent that don't listen. Tell them very simply, the players that listen will be the ones that play in games. If this was me I would show them the door but I am not the head coach of your program.

Find some kids that want to listen and learn the game. JMO

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 20:37 

How many kids are causing the issue?

You are making a bad trade. The only thing players understand is playing time. Your kids are willing to trade the sprints for playing time. That is one reason one I don't like to punish with sprints.

Send them out of practice if they don't listen. Then don't play them. At all. If you run out of players, get rid of all of them and play with JV kids.

There is a direct line to a player's brain. It runs down the spine, out the butt, directly into the bench.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 10:22 

Don,
I am a volunteer coach for 7th grade boys and I have had enough!
Unfortunately I have the same issue with 3 - 4 players that are good, but they screw around/don't listen during practice. We've tried sprints, etc. and I am done with it. After reading your reply I feel more comfortable with what we are going to do. We have warned the players and we have basic guidelines that we expect them to follow during practice. If they don't then we are going to do the following-

1st time issue - kick them out of practice
2nd time - kick them out of practice and will not play in the upcoming games(tourney) - parents contacted as well
3rd time - kicked off the team

If need be, I will contact other kids at the same grade or younger that are eager to play and willing to listen.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 10:42 
Site Admin

I have been blessed this year and have almost zero problem with this. I think this has more to do with a great group of kids than good coaching. But maybe looking at why it has been working well could provide some ideas. I believe the reason this group behaves and listens so well comes down to...

- Good group of kids with good attitudes. Starts there.
- The leaders and best players on the team are excellent leaders and hard workers. The leaders on this team make a big difference. If you can get some leaders on your team and have them set a good example and hold other players accountable and keep them in check, that can make a huge difference. They will get on the other guys when they need to.
- There are a couple kids on the team that are good kids but lack some focus. If they are allowed to they will screw around about as much as they can. The solution is easy. Never put these kids at the same basket and put them with other kids you know will work hard.
- From day one, every single player knows that our emphasis is on improving and giving their best effort. They all know they will not get yelled at for missing shots, making the wrong cut, or pretty much anything on the court. But if they do NOT give their best effort in practice and games, that is absolutely unacceptable. It is not ever tolerated. They can't always control if they make all their shots or make their teamate makes the right cut, but they can always control their effort.

I don't know if this helps you at all. But those are things that have made our season a success from an attitude and listening standpoint.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 10:57 

I would just add this to Don's and Jeff's reply -

Keep them moving from drill to drill quickly ... keep your drills short 5-6 minutes and keep them competitive, kids love to compete. Find some things that they LOVE to do and use that as "carrot". Mix up players in certain drills so they don't get to comfortble with their buddes.

I guess that I have been lucky, I rarely threw anyone out of practice, once it was my best player... but they got the idea.

I would use that as a last resort. BUT, IF they don't get the idea, like I said before... just show them the door. JMO

I helped a 7th grade coach this year and we had very few problems when the kids were there - most of the problems were not showing up on a regular basis.. but that few and far between. All and all, a great year working with them.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 11:18 

Count your blessings.....

If you ask me it is a reflection of what goes on at home. Sure there are times when they goof off a bit, they are kids. I have 7 of my own at home and find that I have more patience than most and have been told so by the parents.

I have kids that don't give 100% during practice, when we scrimmage they start to goof around. It is hard to seperate them. I'm going to take a hard approach and if it doesn't work this year maybe it will sink it for next year and the school ball coaches won't have to deal with the issue.

Then they wonder why less people are volunteering to coach(baby sit) -

Do I sound frustrated? I am.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 12:37 

Hang in there, its a tough job, especially when you are volunteering. Tough enough when you are getting paid for it.

Little Johnny can do no wrong... trust me, its not just at your level, I have seen some hgh school kids that play the way you are describing... funny, I've watched a few of their practices and they bust their butt.

Welcome back Don...... so tell me Don, what keeps a kid ( Or kids ) from transferring what they are taught in practice to games? Something simple like Help Line Defense? ( just to mention one )

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 16:05 

And1 wrote:
Do I sound frustrated? I am.
Curious how this turned out? If you have control over playing time in games (not a rec league, competitive), I would use that as a motivator. Kids aren't real keen about sitting on the bench.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 07:28 

I called the parents and informed them on what was going on and what we were going to do about it. Before practice I informed the kids that I had contacted their parents and here are the new rules -
1. This is your warning - Goof off during practice and your kicked out of practice.
3. 2nd time your kicked out of practice and not allowed to play in the next game(tourneys)
3. 3rd time I call your parents to inform them that you are off the team

I was pleased when I called the parents that some of them asked if it was their kid.
It has been going fine so far, but the season has a ways to go yet -