All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 07:54 

Thank you very much for all... I need some documents,drills,practices for big players (professional players).... do you have any women teams practice program or drills (any wnba team or europe women team).what kind of practice are they doing ? or which drills I can do for my team before season and in the season. My season will start at august can you help me.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 20:19 

Coach: Where are you coaching I coach professional women in Hong Kong. As far as practice plans and drills are concerned, I run several half court drills, and several full court drills. All my drills are done at game speed and i finish off every hard drill with one and a bonus. I never allow my players to shoot several free throws in a row as that never happens in a game. As I say, everything I do in practice simulates game conditions. We practice 3 times per week with usually one game. My practices run for 2 and sometimes 3 hours depending on the situation. For a practice, I drill extensively then finish off the last hour working on the opponents sets against my man to man defense we then drill our offensive sets. To describe the type of drills I do here would take too much ink. However, if you look to the left of this posting, Joe and Jeff have a ton of drills that are very useful. Dont think because your players are pro that there are different drills for different levels. Depending on the drills, they can be run at all levels. My suggestion to you is don't drill for the purpose of drilling, Drill with a purpose either to work on some facets of your game such as offense or defense. My team is not big, in fact my post player is only 5'8 and we play against women over 6' in most games. I have been told that its futile to press and trap in professional basketball. I have found that to be untrue as I trap and press all over the court and ended up the year at 56-4. The four games we lost we simply got out studded. If you require any further information, please dont hesitate to ask. Yours in Basketball Coach Mac

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 06:13 
Site Admin

Great advice as always, Coach Mac.

I really like ths line:

"My suggestion to you is don't drill for the purpose of drilling, Drill with a purpose..."

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 07:12 

That IS a great quote.... I became a mentor to a coach 7-8 years ago when he took over as head coach to a girls program. Thats the first thing I told him.... don't run drills for the sake of running drills... run them with a specific purpose in mind. Think of the THINGS you do and then IF you have to, DEVISE a drill to accomplish that. Its not that difficult. Sometimes we think we have to do some majical drill that some big time D1 coach does.... not really, all we have to do is sit down and think about what you are trying to accomplish and then make up that drill.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 18:17 

Gentlemen: I am truly honored, I must admit, that's the first original quote I have ever made up, everything else I pilfered from other coaches. I have found this to be beneficial, and its out of Coach Sars posting, I create drills out of my offenses and defenses, I break the entire offense and defense into individual parts, drill the parts put the parts together and eventually, they become the whole. Coach Mac