All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 21:32 

Coach Sar,
Ok I understand. I mean I was kind of already teaching at the preschool(which isnt hard, but I at times had control of the kids in the class) and while I worked in the AfterSchool program and the 3rd-6th grade kids and theyre homework when I could. I didnt have to have teaching creds, but i did have to pass a ParaProfessioanl Exam..
Anyone and everyone that ive every talked to have all said the same thing as you are. I must make up my mind and go all in and stop be lazy on it. Thanks for the push and advice....

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 06:50 

Yeah Cody,

Get after it, don't make me come there and kick your butt...... you are like I was...anxious about it, maybe even lazy.. but once I made my mind up I got it done.... in 4 years too, not like some that want to be professional students. My problem was I hated school and wasn't very good at it. Cs at best until I got to college... then I was on the Deans list all the time.
Like they say in the Nike ads............... JUST DO IT!! :-)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 08:51 

Lol @ U Coach, Goodmorning...
yes it pretty much boils down to me being lazy, also as well as hating school and being horriable at it. Ive never liked school at all, always been about the social scene of school and have never been better then d's n c's, I struggle very much and I think thats half if not more of the reason why Ive kinda stirred away from college after high school, and why I have a hard time seeing myself as a Teacher. I always told myself as a student, that I would never be a Teacher or be back in school while I was in it, but now it seems as if God is kickin me in the butt with Irony...
Yea I think Nike said it best when they came up with that Slogan, So easy, but sayin so much in so little... Wasnt able to sleep anymore, have our 1st Rd games in a cple hrs, I think im more excited then my boys are...

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 12:53 

OK, I got my point across.... hey, IF I can do it... anyone can. All you have to do is make up your mind that you are going to do it!
Calm down now, you don't want your kids to see you too wound up.... relax and stay focused.

GOOD LUCK!

*"We are more limited by our beliefs than our abilities. If you believe you are an average basketball player, you'll play like one. Believe you are a champion, and you'll eventually be one. Set your goals high and let them lift you up to where you really want to go."....Dr. Tom Amberry

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 17:47 

Coach: I'm not going to beat this topic to death, however, It's amazing what that piece of paper can do for your confidence. I left high school before graduation to play Junior hockey so I never even had a high school diploma. That obvious lack of education was a deterrent to everything i wanted to do in sports. I used to coach club basketball and played many games against high school teams. Although I was quite successful, I never felt comfortable having a beer with these coaches following games or tournaments. I then found myself lying about my educational background in order to impress them. However, I still felt inferior. It was at that point that i decided to make all those lies the truth and thus returned to school as a mature student. Was it easy? not on your life, I was never a good student but its incredible what a little maturity can do for you in that educational environment. All of a sudden, I began to get it and now have an Honors Degree and two advanced degrees. Perhaps we should not allow many students to attend university until they are 25 or 30 or even 40. Good luck coach, heed my advice, heed Coach Sars advice or continue on that slippery slope. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 19:12 

Hey coachs,
So to update, last saturday was 1st rd of tourny for both teams. My older boys,11th-12th grader won and are goin to the championship. My younger boys was almost a massacure for ahwhile. We were down 37 at Half Time. It was a very hard game to stay positive in and upbeat, but somehow managed and the team came back but only to lose by 16, so they came back. WE out scored them in 3rd quarter and played amazing d in 4th, dont know where it all was in the first half, but its ok we go for 3rd this saturday...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 05:02 

Congratulations with both teams...... its very hard to stay positive when you are getting your butt handed to you... but thats what a coach is supposed to do.

This might be different with the younger kids, but when you see the game getting out of hand...CONTROL the TEMPO. Slow the game down and then start to chip away at the score. IF you get down 12 - I don't know about you, but I don't have any 12 point plays... so TWO at a time.

I was just watching one of our old game tapes... we were down 13 in the 1st quarter and I decided to slow the game down a lot....... we frustrated them and came back to win by 15..... tied the game by half time by the way. Teams that control the tempo usually win the game.

Stay positive and good luck.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 13:16 

Hey Coaches,
We ended up winning our Championship 64-47!!! It was absolutly our best game of the year. Everything came together so amazingly, it was 15-15 after 1, 34-35 halftime us, 47-41 us after 3 and then 64-47 final... Valley, Flat, Options,plays were open all day had one of my shooters go off for 28 pts. LOL our defense was amazing, great rotations(the 4 times we played zone) other then that we straight man and doubled ball, constant pressure. Seriously pissing off the other team, they did NOT expect us to come like that.
As we walked past the other team at half time, opposite coach and I pasted and he says, "So You guys have been practicing, huh"? HAHA, I didnt say anything back, I just smiled and keep walking with my team outta the gym. Used that as more motivation for my team at that point, we came out halftime and handled them. At one point in the 3rd we went on a 10-0 run in under 1min12secs, timeout was called at that point. My guys were hot, everything was open, man in the 4th quarter we ran with about 4 mins to go, we got into "FLAT BALL" and there was some pretty give n go's. Im only losing 2 guys to being Seniors and the other guys said they want to come back and do it again next year, so im excited already. Plus had parents come up and thank me for coaching there kids and against there kids cuz of my enthusiasim and how I "Coach" the kids not jus yell at them. Anyways jus wanted to share with you guys thanks for your advice so far, plz stay in touch. Thanks Coach Cody P.S. I have pics but dont know how to share them with you?