All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2019, 15:18 

Hi, My name is Rob and I'm currently coaching an 8th grade AAU team. My question is, How often should I change my practices? Right now I have two practice schedules put together for an hour and a half each and wanted to basically keep them the same with little alterations until after our first tournament in February. However, should I have some baseline items that I keep the same like warm ups, form shooting, finishing , passing and the shell drill but change areas up every practice like game shooting, cuts and screens and stuff like that? Or should we do the same two practices until the tournament to make sure they are running through them efficiently leading up to our first tournament? I want to keep practices focused, competitive and skill building without wearing players down with the same thing practice after practice.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 07:02 
Site Admin

Rob - When it comes to practice design, there are hundreds of good ways to design a practice. With experience, you'll change and improve your practice plans. Even after coaching for 20 years, I often have a practice plan and then change it because certain things didn't go the way I planned. So you'll probably need to be ready to adapt as you go.

The biggest suggestion I can give is to make a list and prioritize it. Make a list of most important things you want to go done and order them (or possibly group them if you prefer). Once you have this master list ready, you can reference this all season to design your practice plans. Part of that list should probably include the things you want to get covered before the first game.

To get started, you will probably want to keep a decent chunk of your practice the same. The reason to use the same drills is to save time. Players already know the drill, so you can get them going quickly. Teaching new drills takes more time.

However, there probably isn't enough time in one practice to cover everything. So part of your practice might need to be different. As an example, you might run transition offense and BLOB plays on Tuesdays and then on Thursdays you cover press breaker and SLOB plays.

Again, there are 100 different ways to skin a cat. So start with your master list and design from there.

With that said, it is recommend to change things up as you go to keep players engaged and interested. Maybe after a month you change a few drills... to keep players engaged.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 09:49 

JeffHaefner wrote:
Rob - When it comes to practice design, there are hundreds of good ways to design a practice. With experience, you'll change and improve your practice plans. Even after coaching for 20 years, I often have a practice plan and then change it because certain things didn't go the way I planned. So you'll probably need to be ready to adapt as you go.

The biggest suggestion I can give is to make a list and prioritize it. Make a list of most important things you want to go done and order them (or possibly group them if you prefer). Once you have this master list ready, you can reference this all season to design your practice plans. Part of that list should probably include the things you want to get covered before the first game.

To get started, you will probably want to keep a decent chunk of your practice the same. The reason to use the same drills is to save time. Players already know the drill, so you can get them going quickly. Teaching new drills takes more time.

However, there probably isn't enough time in one practice to cover everything. So part of your practice might need to be different. As an example, you might run transition offense and BLOB plays on Tuesdays and then on Thursdays you cover press breaker and SLOB plays.

Again, there are 100 different ways to skin a cat. So start with your master list and design from there.

With that said, it is recommend to change things up as you go to keep players engaged and interested. Maybe after a month you change a few drills... to keep players engaged.