All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 22:53 

I've been coaching AAU ball for many years and one of the hallmarks of my teams, I'm ashamed to say, has been poor free throw shooting. All but one of my teams, the 17U team, have always been pretty bad at shooting, which I mostly attribute to poor shooting mechanics.

I should state that when I get my team together, I only have 1, maybe 2, practices a week for 2 weeks before my games begin, so I prioritize getting the players on the same page offensively and defensively before I re-incorporate individual skill training drills.

My issue with things like form shooting and free throw shooting is that it's too slow and requires more individual attention than I'm capable of giving.

How do you go about giving free throws and shooting mechanics the proper attention it needs? I have 2 90-minute practices a week, and I don't always have multiple regulation height hoops to shoot on because some of the elementary schools we practice at have their hoops down to 7'.

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 06:41 
Site Admin

We spend most of our time on shooting technique in the off season. That is partly why we don't play much (if at all) in spring, summer or fall. We focus on skill work.

During the regular season, we work do the following every practice:
- some type of form shooting
- some type of rhythm shooting
- footwork shooting drills
- ramdom shooting drills

With most of our shooting drills... players either have a ball in their hands and their shooting the entire time. Or it's very efficient drill allowing them to get lots of reps. The rest of the reps get done in context of small sided games.

For free throws we have to get creative coming up with different ways to have some players working on ballhandling, 3v3, or something while others do free throws... because sometimes we just have two hoops.

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 14:20 

Just a comment on free throw shooting during practice. And I can't remember if I read this somewhere in an article or if I came up with this thought on my own...but anyway....

I have found that my players shoot free throws better in games when I started randomly having them shoot 2 free throws in practice after drills or coming out of water breaks or whenever. Stop a drill and tell everyone to get to a basket and shoot two free throws. I thought it simulated game free throws much better. I have not had my teams do the stand there and shoot 10 in a row thing in a long time.

Just a thought.