All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 14:54 

Jeff,

Thanks for posting those links.. as for that video... tough for me to see.... Could you please send that info to me via my e mail... maybe step by step... I feel bad always asking you to do this.

Thanks

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 15:17 

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/OpenPostDoubleUp.html

OK, I think I got it... thanks Jeff! See, you can teach an old dog new tricks. :-)

Now I gotta work on the quote thing here.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 01:11 

Dear Joe, Jeff & the whole Breakthrough Basketball organization,

Back in November, I posted the question on what to focus on in practice and have received numbers of helpful tips. Thanks guys!

I could have not done it without you! My junior varsity team has just won the “5th Elite Inter-School Basketball League” here in Riyadh, KSA. We were unbeaten the whole season straight to the best of 3 championship. There were 8 schools that competed, we won every game with an average of 30+ points per game. It was the first time I handled this team that has never got in to the finals since they joined back in 1998.

It was truly sweet for the school (Riyadh International School) junior varsity to win the for the first time without ever tasting a loss. I owe it to you guys. I just used a lot of your Breakthrough Basketball Plays and Drills I got from your ebook and it was truthfully effective! Moreover, your emails are truly helpful. The Danny Miles clinic was also great. The John Wooden tips and so on... I could go on forever. Whew! Unbelievable! I used a lot of motion offense. I also found out that "Hand-off" play from the elbow or high post was truly effective and hard to guard for high school team. We used a lot of that. A lot of schools are talking about how the team improved since last year and how we were able to win in that kind of fashion!

I just bought the 60 fun basketball drills and games for youth coaches and the Bob Bigelow DVD in my preparation for the next season.

Hoorah to all of you especially to Joe, Jeff, Tonya and the rest! God bless and more power!

Coach Lawrence Chang

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 09:56 

Congratulations!! Hard work and persistence paid off..... you did a great job of selling your program. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 21:27 

Coach Chang: I coach professional basketball in China but on Saturday and Sunday Mornings, i work with many young chinese kids on this great game. Unfortunatly, the game here is only 3 on 3 and the kids play it daily for hours. What I have obseved, is these kids are endowed with incredible quickness, some dribble at a high level and a few shoot fairly well but NONE of them pass the ball worth a cup of coffee. I am a firm believer in fundamentals, it is my contention that if you cant pass and you can't catch, you cannot play this game. More mistakes are made with this fundamental than any other in the game. I have cited this on several occasions and made references to the NBA playoffs of last year where million dollar players couldnt even get an inbounds pass in. Coach, concentrate on the fundamentals, as some of the previous coaches have suggested, use a simple motion and man 2 man defense. I used to use a three rule motion with kids, 1. Always pass and screen away, 2. closest to the ball screens away, 3. in the post area, post up for a 1000 and 1 and screen across. This simple play I found to be fairly successful at this level. You have six hours of practice time per week, as Coach Sars suggests, its time for you to begin putting your daily practice plans into effect, you dont require all six hours to teach offense, the simpler the better and that will give you plenty of time to coach the fundamentals.good luck Coach Mac

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 21:33 

Wow: Am I behind, this was posted last September??? I must be getting old, like coach Sars. Well, Lawrence, congratulations on a fine job and great coaching. by the way where is your international School located?, I used to coach at hong Kong International School..and took two of those teams to an undefeated season in the A.PAC conference. Let me know Coach Mac

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 23:36 

Hey Coach Mac, thank you for the tips! I could certainly use a lot of that especially next season. Right now we are still enjoying the championship. I must have confused you with my last name. I do not coach in HongKong. Although I am Chinese. : )

I coach a junior varsity 2nd year high school and below team here in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. But the school is planning to have me coach the Senior Varsity team next year who by the way also won the championship this year which is their 3rd straight.

More power Coachmac!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 05:42 

Coach: I realized you were not in HK but figured out...by your name..Im a genius, that you were Chinese..OK Saudi Arabia...you may want to some year take the plunge and come to HK and play in the HKIS Holiday tournament..there you will have a chance to show your stuff against some really good teams..Every year we get Korea, Philippines, Japan, Main Land China. Beijing..think about it..Coach Mac

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 10:27 

Coach,

At all ages I like to use drills that reinforce fundamentals of passing, dribbling, proper shooting form, defense and rebounding.

I use the 50-25-25 practice method
50% of practice dedicated to drills reinforcing fundamentals
25% for structure, plays
25% scrimmaging and conditioning

Definitely contact other coaches from surrounding towns to schedule informal scrimmages.

Coach A

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 16:45 

Coach Chang: If you are interested in testing new frontiers, I can put you in contact with the athletic director at Hong Kong International School. Your team would be the first from Saudi Arabia to gain entrance into that tourney. It runs over the thanks giving weekend in November and features some great teams, Kadina out of Japan, Brent International from the Philippines etc Coach Mac