All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 16:24 

Not being an organized kind of guy, I am trying to plan practices a week ahead, but what I am finding is that I am constantly changing them as well.

I have a very lax job that allows me plenty of time during the day to do other things, so I am wondering if it is best to only go a day or two in advance.

I am using practiceplanner live which I like quite a bit.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hydaburg City School District

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 08:42 

I think it is a good idea to have your practice plan largely set for the season. The most important thing is to have your practices up to your first game set so that you have an installation schedule.

I would remind that having a season master practice plan scheduled does not commit you to following it. Every week, or after every game, you should review it, and see if changes are necessary. The changes should be made based on what is working well and what is not.

The season will work better for you if you, before the start, create a list of skills to teach, and drills that teach those skills. Then create a practice plan for the days ahead, and like a grocery shopper, pick and choose different drills for the skills you want to practice every day. There should be some segments in your practice plan later in the season that you leave "open" so that you can insert what you need to work on as strengths and weaknesses become evident through your game.

These are just my thoughts. Even I don't always follow my own advice (the teaching portion and uncertainty of whether I'll be brought back to coach year to year sometimes precludes parts of my preseason planning). But I have found that my practices and season has flowed smoother the farther ahead I plan.

Just my thoughts, doesn't make me right.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 15:36 
Site Admin

Here's an article about the subject.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/pre-season-tips.html#chapter2

Personally I have a master practice plan of all the stuff I want to cover for the season, a checklist, a list of favorite drills, and the most important things I want to emphasis. I reference that master plan all season and then create my practice plans the day of or the day before practice.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 20:06 

Maybe 2 weeks. My assistant and I would start in the late summer, to prepare The Thanksgiving tourney, Sometimes teams change but not to often.

For those occasions I always kept book for every team we played That was there was no surprises.

Each year YOU can adjustments or from game to game,

As for in season goes you can you from game to game to see what you need to prepare for.