All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 19:08 

Hello Folks,

I am thinking of running 2 hour and 30min practices. I coach HS boys and only have 10 days before the first game. Does that seem too long?

Hydaburg City School District

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 19:20 

No. Especially in light of your situation with the crazy game schedule.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 19:40 

Would you go longer? I pretty much have the gym.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 19:47 

Going 3 hours is pushing it, imo. 2 hours is pretty typical, but those always seem to stretch into 2 1/2. Assume you're talking every night until you start playing?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014, 19:49 

I have toyed with the idea of doubles for the first week. We will be practicing on Saturdays as well.

I am not sure about Sundays, I know we have to get special dispensation to have games on Sunday, but I am not sure about practices.

I was thinking for Sunday to work more on shooting and have some fun shooting type drills.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 05:05 
Site Admin

2.5 hour practices can work at the high school level if you adapt as you go and structure things properly.

Bottom line is the kids can do it. The only question is whether it will be detrimental to the team. So here are a few suggestions that come to mind...

- Keep an eye on things and adapt as needed. There will be days you just need to let them out early for rest. Other days you need to switch things up after 90 minutes and do some fun stuff. And other times you can go the full 2.5 hours. Once you get started you'll be able to tell when productivity is going down because of fatigue. Be sure to adapt if that happens. Even better, if you sense it's coming, adapt before it happens.

- Make sure you incorporate rest days for muscles and minds to recover. Otherwise you'll have worn out kids with no legs for the first game. For example, maybe Sundays are complete rest and Thursdays are really light practices with chalk talks. walk throughs, and a shoot around.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 07:04 

I worked with a football coach and his saying was..... " The mind can absorb only what that butt can endure!"

So there comes a time when its more dentimental for longer practices... the last thing you want is for your players to NOT look forward to coming to practice the next day....... 7 days a week? I don't think so. Doubles every day...?? I don't like that idea either..... we had doulbles early in the the first two weeks of the season..... Saturdays and holidays only.... we we might have gotten 2 - 3 doubles in before the season started.

Later in the season..... time to cut back on practice time... don't leave your legs on the practice floor..... same for days before the game...... use your time wisely. JMO!!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 14:30 

Sry, this was only for my first 10 days, once we get into the meat of the season, the practice length will go down.

Great advice and thank you.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 17:51 

We only had doubles the first two weeks.... saturdays and 1 holiday.