All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 12:55 

Hi all,

I am looking at ideas for punishments for losing drills/games in training's to replace the old school shuttles, 17s (widths) and pushups etc. This is to maximize the small amount of training time we have available.

I have used 3 dribble full court layups, backboard tipping and dribble shuttles so far.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 15:23 

Ben -

I wouldn't waste to much time on punishment ... if you mean a consequence for losing... how about one trip up and down the floor while the winners clap?

Practice time is valuable, use it wisely Think of things that have a direct relationship to the game, the full court lay ups are good, full court 3 man weave etc as long as it doesn't take up a lot of time. I am sure that you can use that time more wisely teaching fundamentals.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 06:47 
Site Admin

With high school boys we usually do 5-15 push ups, finger pad push ups, or burpees. Usually quite quick and sometimes not too tough (although they don't like finger pad push ups or burpees). But even with 10 push ups they are not happy because it's more of the idea they lost and do push ups while the others watch or get a drink. So it's gets quite competitive.

With 3rd grade girls, usually the winners all get high fives from me and get a drink first. The losers wait and get a drink second. I think it depends on the age level and what makes them tick.

The only thing I don't like about push ups / burpess is I don't want kids to think "exercise" is a punishment. But I haven't figured anything else that works yet.

And this is not something we do every single practice. Sometimes you just get acknowledged for winning or we don't even have a competitive drill where there's a winner and loser.