All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 22:43 

Hey coaches
I have two question that needs insight or suggestion. I am currently coaching JV girls and I will like to know some ways I can instill toughness to their game. They don't really get a sense as to how to be tough in triple threat or in the post. We try to tell them but do it in the beginning but then go back to their old habits. Are there any drills we can use that will make them become stronger with the ball and not turn it over or get pushed out of their shooting range or passing angle. Also what are ways to get them to be in a lower stance in triple threat i tried to create a limbo while teaching post moves to illustrate it but how do you help emphasis this with the dribbling and defense and other aspects without them really recognizing it.. Thanks

Brian

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 08:28 

Brian -

I only coached girls one year and I found that they are not as physical / tough as boys are but they were competitive. The best thing that worked for me was to make all the drills competitive and tougher than game situations will be. example.... 3 on 3 but add another defender - no dribbling etc. Add anything that you can to make the situations tougher.

In the post, have them sit on their defender for one.... maybe you can use a football blocking pad to bump them and push them around. This is something that you are probably going to have to do every day to get it ingrained in their minds.

Hope this helps a little.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 11:27 
Site Admin

Brian,

Toughness is a pretty vague thing that can pretty much include all aspects of basketball and sports. If you figure out a way to develop all around toughness, let me know!! I'd be will to pay you for that info.

Beyond that, there are specific things you can do to address "toughness" in certain areas. But for the most part you have to take one thing at a time.

You mention toughness with the ball. We teach players to rip the ball low or rip it high, never in the middle. We also practice tons for footwork and triple threat moves. This gives them confidence with the ball, ability to create space with their footwork, and ability to beat defenders with their footwork.

This is something that takes time but has a big pay off. And what I would consider basic skill development.

Some drills that I like are no dribble 1on1. And the no dribble passing drills that Coach Sar mentioned.

Here's something I just wrote this morning that talks about the no dribble drill and cutting down on bad passes.
http://jeffhaefner.com/coach/cutting-down-turnovers-improving-defense-and-objectively-analyzing-your-game-results/

Another thing that helps is what you decide to emphasize. For use we really emphasize the following core values and character skills:
- hard working
- resilient
- selfless

We also make defense, rebounding, and ball security a priority. If you want to play, you better be really good at those things. That requires toughness and effort. So practices are pretty intense because kids want to play.

So as a result, toughness is a constant emphasize for us... although I don't think I have used the word "toughness" once this year. Here's a little more info about it.
http://jeffhaefner.com/coach/excited-had-our-first-mandatory-meeting-with-the-players-off-to-good-start/

Otherwise if you have specific questions about certain areas, let us know and we'll try to help.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 12:15 

Okay I get the 1 on 1 drills and the no dribbling drills which work and they do rip but its more in a way that they feel if they do it hard they are afraid they will hurt someone. I want them to be able to rip hard and create space without being worried that they are going to hit someone or not. It seems like if giving pressure they get tense up and in turn get in the struggle with defenders or turn it over. So I am just trying to figure out how to get them tougher with the ball.

Brian

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 12:31 

I would start applying contact as coaches during drills and letting them play a bit more. Like Coach Sar mentioned, making it tougher in practice than in a game.

We tell our players two things:
1) expect contact
2) don't look for the officials to rescue you, they won't

Couple of practical things we do to help that so they get used to contact:
Layups with coaches and apply contact. Line of girls under basket with a girl dribbling towards elbow around a chair to next elbow that also has a chair, and then coming back for a lay-up. Start with one coach near low block; he/she slaps arm as they go up or some applies some type of contact. Lighter contact at first, increase as they go along in the drill.

Points of emphasis:
1) dribble low around chairs on elbows, shoulder lower than top of chair
2) expect contact
3) look up
4) make the lay-up - they are there to make the basket.

You can add a second coach near free throw line with a blocking pad to add a bit more physicality to the drill. We do this drill every practice.

3 stops. One on D just above FT line, with line of girls facing FT line. Player on D shoves ball to first girl in line and play begins. Start with only 3 dribbles allowed (we move to 2 dribbles eventually), D has to get a stop which means keep them away from basket anyway they can. We emphasize no one in paint. If D forces bad shot and gets rebound, that’s one stop. 3 stops by one player and the rest have a consequence.

Right back up. 3 girls of similar height facing basket just behind low blocks. They are tight next to each other. Coach behind shoots a shot and misses. They play cutthroat. You want them going right back up with the ball, other two can double-team and do whatever it takes to stop the one player from shooting (within reason – safety). If ball bounces out of paint, player with ball gets one dribble. Emphasize putting it right back up, let some fouls slide here. You want them getting used to receiving and giving some contact.

Line them up all with a ball on baseline spread out. This drill can work on their dribbling as well as playing strong. Have two coaches for this drill. You tell them how high to dribble and which hand. Ankle, knee, hip, etc. They must have their off ball hand out to protect the ball. Coaches move up and down the line applying pressure/contact. They should hold their ground with a good athletic stance and not lose their dribble.

"We try to tell them but do it in the beginning but then go back to their old habits." Can't let them do this. You have to consistently talk to them and reemphasize what you want to see on the court. Make a big deal out of it. Encourage and reward it.

Playing lower. Have two girls of similar speed at half court. Tell them they are going to race to the baseline. Tell them to get ready; they should get lower in a runner's stance. Have them race a 2nd time. Have one get low in a sprinter's stance, have the other one stand straight up with feet together. We've done this with a player an avg speed player and faster one. Have the faster one stand up and race. It makes a huge difference. Using examples like that and showing them that playing low decreases wasted moves/energy. The player standing up has to waste time getting lower first.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 13:53 
Site Admin

As far as not ripping the ball hard enough, the only thing I know to do is make it an unconditional requirement in the drill. Just tell them we'll keep doing this drill until everyone is ripping the ball hard. We'll do this drill the entire practice if we have to.

With reps hopefully it will become a habit. But you can also pull them from the game and give them bench time when they play soft and don't rip the ball.

I don't know what else you can do other than require them to do it the way you want in practice.,No exceptions.