All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 18:20 

We are going to be playing a team that is more athletic and plays transition ball. Any experienced suggestions on how to stay competitive would be appreciated. We have a couple of good guard and post players. Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2012, 21:28 

If this were me, I would take them out of their game... control the tempo of the game, make them play half court basketball. I wouldn't be taking a lot of quick shots unless it is a great look, because thats what they want... to be able to run.

Move the ball around until you get the shot you want... who you want to shoot it and from where.

Make sure you have a couple players getting back to prevent easy baskets by them.

I was a varsity coach and we were usually the underdogs, so we would control the tempo, we ran an open post offense ( I wouldn't sugges that you change your offense for this game) We changed our defense from m2m to a match up zone... (in your case use any zone you want) OR you can go from pressure m2m to a sagging m2m.... anything that will make them have to think... the more they have to think, the slower their feet get.

Good luck and let us know what you think and how the game goes.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 08:38 
Site Admin

Yeah. I like to have two guys back and like Coach Sar said, make it a half court game.

I would tell my help defenders to pack the lane and force outside, contested shots. If helpside is two passes away, get both feet in the lane. If pass is one pass away, get one foot near the lane. I'm letting them make the perimeter pass at the expense of taking away the drive.