All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 09:46 

I am coaching a 6th grade girls travel team. The team has been together since 3rd grade and has played 25-30 games per year. I play everyone equal but still blow teams out by 20-30 point every game. My question is, what am I supposed to do with my starters when we are ahead 30-2 at halftime. These kids work hard and still want and deserve to play. I usually make them slow it down and put my kids in the arc, any suggestions?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 10:58 

This really is a tough situation.... you want your kids to play hard... and NOT embarass anyone.... so YOU are to be commended for that.

Some people would say thats the other teams problem... but these are young kids and there is no reason to blow them away and keep on doing that.

I guess there are a few things you could do, mix up the line up - work on certain things... getting play A a shot off off this play... a couple ball reversals and a post touch before you shoot? Work on certain sets more.... certainly don't press and you can walk the ball up the floor after you get a 25-30 point lead. Work on getting your worst shooter more shots?

I only wish I had that problem as a varsity coach. :-)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 08:47 
Site Admin

I don't know if you press or not. But if you do, don't press. Play 100% half court man to man defense. Teach them how to execute and win in the half court game. If you are a pressing team, you will most likely find the score is closer and it's much harder for them to execute a half court game (offense and defense), which they will need to learn how to do.