All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 09:06 

I have a question, I am coaching a rep team of 7th grade boys and I find that their inner spirit is not as competitive as I was as a kid, really talented kids but practice is just above flat. Old days you just had pride playing ball and against your team mates cause if you did not bring it, you will always hear it. But I am not getting that from my guys it just seems like they are going through the motions. So I was wondering if you have any ideas to spark those competitive spirits maybe not of old but at least half of it. Thank you,
Nathan

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 09:31 

Nathan,

While every kid is different as are generations.... BUT ( don't we just love the "BUTS?" :-)

Make everything you do in practice competitive.... regardless of what it is.... things like shooting drills or free throws... the losers (and I don't like that word - but for the lack of a better one right now) the losers run up and back one time... something simple... 5 situps or pushups can work too.

Do that with everything you do - make it like a game. We ran situations at the end of every practice.... things like 1 minute on the clock - team A is down 2 points with the ball, 0 time outs and both teams are in the bonus...the ball is 84' away....... anything that you can think of you can use.

I don't know you or how you are at practice, but I can tell you that when I was sick or NOT on MY game, our practices were not very good.... so YOU have to come with YOUR A game too. Be enthusiastic as you can be without being phony.... ( they can see through that ) and as a coach you need to have high expectations for your players... 12-13 or whatever age....

Its not about winning, its about playing as hard as you can when you cross that line onto the floor. You need to be all business while still being able to let them have fun. I hope this helps.