All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 08:49 

I coach a u10 team. I've been teaching how to attack gaps in controlled scrimmage settings. Does anyone have a solid drill that will increase reps for attacking gaps against zone?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 12:08 

John,

First of all, its a shame that U10 players have to face zone defenses... they should be playing m2m exclusively... but thats another story.... let me look around for you and see what I can come up with. Most of the stuff that is out there is for older kids.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 12:12 

I agree completely. Our strength is our back court. In 5 games, 3 teams started out in m2m and after a handful of possessions were packed in a 2-3. Its awful.

If you have good things for older kids, please send it along. I can break it down.

JF

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 12:43 
Site Admin

I like to use the Box Drill which I got from Coach K.

Put 3 players on the perimeter. Then the defense forms a 2-2 zone, hence the name box.

The offensive players try to fill the gaps, drive & kick, freeze dribble, gap dribble, etc.

You can also do a drill for the players in the post area. Have defenders down low, they are the "3" of the 2-3 zone. Take two post players and have them work them seal and find the gaps in the high post and short corner. You can use two wing passers that can't do anything but pass to the post players.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 13:35 

I like this a lot Joe, and its simple enough for those younger kids. Great call.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 08:59 

Here is something that I found from Bobby Knight -

http://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Basketball/Bob-Knight-Encyclopedia-of-Zone-Offense_BD-03635A.html?mv_pc=CP00061

Seems simple enough that you could use this with your younger kids.... point of emphasis would be.... for the next kid in line to be in a good position to receive the pass.