All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 08:51 

We had our first game last night and they threw a 1-3-1 Trap at us all night that rattled our PG's. We kept it out of the deep corners and didn't pick up our dribble for the most part, but we could not break the 1-3-1.

What are some tips or strategies to break through this?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 10:37 

I didn't see anything on the left side but maybe Jeff or Joe can send it....

I found this - http://www.coachesclipboard.net/131zoneoffense.html

We were a were a pretty small varsity team so we would attack the guy coming to trap us... step thru or attack his inside shoulder before he got to the trap... making contact and let the ref make the call... then we would try to attack the middle and move the ball from there - get the ball to the center of the floor and look low to both sides...

Find the gaps and attack them looking to move the ball quickly... its nice if you have outside shooters... the fastest way to get someone out of a zone... nail some 3s IF you have any 3 point shooters.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 10:47 

We tried to attack the Perimeter with 3's, but it doesn't work when you are 0-8 (and 13-43 FG). Attacking the gaps is where we struggled, we could break the trap but they were SO athletic that the other side would trap immediately forcing a steal or an errandt skip pass into the bleachers.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 10:55 
Site Admin

Coincidentally we're just getting ready to write an article about "Beating a 1-3-1 Trap" for an upcoming newsletter issue. So to all the coaches out here... please provide all your tips and suggestions on beating the 1-3-1 trap. That will help us write a better article.

Coach Britt - What type of 1-3-1 trap are you facing? Is it a "soft" zone where they build walls force you to throw high and slow passes over the top? That can really take players out their offense and also cause turnovers. Or is it a more aggressive trap where they pressure the ball and then trap aggressively? Where do they trap?

There are different types of 1-3-1 traps so any specific you can provide will help.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 11:29 

Your team should be in a 2-1-2 set against a 1-3-1 trap.

2 guards out front
1 big in middle
2 forwards in short corners

Instruct your players to move ball with quick passes, ball fakes and dribble drive penetration in the seams of the 1-3-1.
If ball goes to short corners the big in the middle should quickly drop
to the ball-side low post. Other short corner player cuts to hoop.
Graphically on a chalk board or clipboard show your players the weaknesses of a 1-3-1 trap.....kids really need to SEE what you mean.

Best,

Coach A

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 11:42 

We also tried to screen the baseline defender and used a runner to come off that screen for a good look. We did the screening with the post player.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 12:08 

The style of their trap depended on where our PG brought up the ball. If it was at the top of the key, it was more of a soft trap, forcing him to throw a lob pass over the trap. If it were to the left or right it was an aggressive trap about 5 feet off of the perimeter.

We ran a Triangle offense most of the time against them and it would work when we could break the traps. We also ran an Overload play that would overload one side of the zone and skip pass across court for the open three, but their three in the middle were so fast that the shot was gone before the ball was across the court.

I am pretty sure that most of the other teams in our conference play a M2M defense so we will utilize our big and little screens more.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 08:27 
Site Admin

I picked this up from Lance Randall who got it from a Russian national coach. If this were a high school varsity team, I'd recommend... don't go nuts on me coaches... a jump pass. However, this is a controlled, balanced jump pass. No fading or running. And it's usually best to use a ball fake before executing. The 1-3-1 wants you to lob the ball. This is what allows them to trap and still rotate without getting beat. A jump pass allows a direct line pass and creates a 2v1 or 3v2 advantage on the opposite side.

However, you're working with middle school players and I would NOT recommend jump passes. It would reinforce bad habits that you're probably trying to get the kids to stop doing.

At this age level, the 1-3-1 is very effective for winning, especially if the team is athletic. All of the tips that the coaches provided above was great. As the players get stronger, more coordinated, and more skilled, they'll be able to beat this eventually. So be patient and don't worry about facing 1-3-1 zones too much.

With our 7th grade boys team, we face 1-3-1 zone defenses every once in a while. It gives us trouble, but I don't worry about it too much. It's not worth it, because it will distract you from your long-term goals.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2011, 08:41 

Great advice Joe.... I coached those age groups for several years (13) and it took me awhile to understand that its not all about winning.. its about teaching the game at that age.... make sure those kids are fundamentally sound when they go into high school, you will be doing them a HUGE favor..... and YOUR KIDS will be ages ahead of the coaches that think about winning more than preparing their kids to play at the next level.

JOE - Jump pass? Be still my heart LOL Any time my kids put the ball over their head they used something that I called the " IT " move... INSTANT TURNOVER.... so I wasn't a fan of that.... bigger kids can handle traps better because they can see over it - or at least at the same level. Thats why I started teaching the Step Through and attack the inside shoulder method... it worked for us..... BUT, If you have some kids that can do the jump pass move and NOT turn the ball over far be it for me to say don't do that. JMO

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2011, 07:35 

Check this play out....

http://www.basketballsbest.com/WakeForest1-3-1ZonePlay.htm