All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 08:45 

Why do some players look so good in tryouts/practice but totally become invisible during a game, while some look average in tryouts/practice but then go kick butt during a real game? How can I decipher through this during tryouts/practice to choose the best game players? Thank you.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 09:32 

I'm not sure about that .... but some kids don't always work hard in practice... and I always wondered IF when times got tough if they would be there for the team. Then we had the kids that busted their butts in practice but were not very good players.

As for me, I always looked for the kids that were fundamentally sound... worked hard at improving their game in practice..... and played hard in GAMES!

Tryouts - IF a kid isn't willing to work hard during tryouts then he isn't much of an athlete. There is no turning it on and off. Either you WANT to play or you don't. Look for the kids that really want to please you...... and are coachable. Kids that get along with the other kids.....

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 12:53 

"Why do some players look so good in tryouts/practice but totally become invisible during a game?"

Some kids are just not gamers - they have a tendency to play poorly..... especially IF it is something that they are not very good at. Remember, the more they practice, the better they get at fundamentals... the better they can play. The ones that play at higher levels are very comfortable doing certain things... they don't have to think about it... they just react and do it. Thats why we practice a lot.
How old are the kids you are working with?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 12:13 

I work with girls in grades 7th and 8th.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 14:37 

Thats a tough gig...... one reason is that girls don't play park ball like the boys do... so they are lacking a lot of experience.... the more they play the more confidence they will have and the better they will play. Get them more games along with practiing fundamentals.