All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 14:06 

I have read most of the site and I got a chuckle out of the part where the writer brought out the fact that all coaches are mini psychologists.

I am sure we all have our own illustrations about players and coaching (TEACHING) moments w/ their psyche.

My (discussion) question is when do you normally use your time outs?

Overall I use mine very sparingly. I usually end the game with them. I think that basketball is not just about basketball, but life and overcoming problems. So, when a team starts to make a run the players are all staring at me waiting for me to call a time out, but I usually give them the calm down signal and play our type of basketball.

I only call a time out if I see a player getting angry and see that he has completely lost it or if one of them have gotten winded and aren't doing things right.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 15:35 

I'm not sure what level you coach at, but at the high school level the game can get out of hand very quickly, especially with the 3 point shot. As a coach its our job to help the players have success... and yes we prepared our kids for a lot of situations... we ran them at the end of every practice... but sometimes things get out of hand and its up to us to calm things down and get them thru it.

It might be a very simple adjustment of offense or defense.... or a weakness we spot that we want to attack... by the way, I saw one coach go home with 3 time outs and lost by two when he had the ball with under 40 seconds to play. Everyone has their own philosophy about how they are going to use their time outs... below was mine.

This is the article I wrote for Jeff & Joe -

Handling time outs are a very important part of the game. How many games have you watched and at the end of the game, when the coach needed one he didn't have any? Here's how I handle time outs...

At the high school level we get one 20 second time out and three full time outs. My first time out was ALWAYS the 20 second one. Most of the time it was for a minor adjustment and if I felt that I couldn't handle that with a sub, I would call the TO.

I believe coaches should use their time outs wisely, try to save one for the last 10- 30 seconds of the game if you can. There are many times that you may need to discuss offense or defense to try and ensure the win. While it doesn't ensure the victory it will give your team the best chance of getting the W.

I know some coaches don't believe in saving times outs won't hesitate to use them up very quickly. What's your opinion? Do you save time outs? What's your reasoning?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:34 

So true Coach Sar....use them wisely.
In youth ball, I get 5 TO's in travel and 3 TO's in AAU. I'll save them during a close game just so I have one or two late in the game. If my kids seem out of it, if other team is going on a roll or if my players need a 60 second blow, then I'll use a full TO.
I make sure they run to my bench so we take advantage of every second of the TO.

When NOT to call a TO? When your team is up 20-25 late in a game.....just not displaying good sportmanship by calling a TO then.

If one of your players fouls out, they give you 30 seconds to substitute a player, you can use this time for a mini TO. Or sometimes I'll call my team over during the first shot of a shooting foul to remind of something or make a change.

Out,

Coach A

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 14:08 

Coach A,

When you are down 10-13 early you better call time out and stop the bleeding.... and then discuss plan B. A lot of times its all about regrouping and discussing how we are going to get back into the game... one basket at a time... I don't have any 12 point plays! :-)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 06:30 

Coach Sar,

That's exactly what I tell my players during halftime when we are down double digits..."we come back one basket at a time"......tough defense.....one basket at a time....tough defense.....another basket........etc.

Have a great week Coach Sar!!!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 06:55 

"Great" minds think alike Coach A!!! :-)

Have a good week yourself!

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 05:11 

Ah! yes Coach Sars.........however, fools seldom differ....and I'm a fool therefore I agree totally with both you and Coach A.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 08:00 

Hmmm.... are you insuating that we are fools? :-)

The only fools are the people who pay or paid us for doing something we LOVED to do!!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 09:43 

Hello,

I read on this site about game strategies and waiting to make a substitution after the 2nd free throw of a two shot foul. The reason being is that it allows you to set up your defense without giving anything up in transition. I was under the impression that substitutions are made BETWEEN free throws in this situation?

Thank you

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2012, 16:23 

This is how we did it......

AFTER the ref hands the ball to the shooter we will send the sub up to the scorers table. That way you can set your D!

Did I clear this up?