All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 12:37 

What would be your game strategy in a boys 9th gr high school game where it's apparent by middle of the 2nd quarter that both refs are calling shooting fouls on 80% of the dribble drives of both teams.

And how would that differ from the original game plan?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 13:22 
Site Admin

I would emphasize driving and getting to the basket instead of settling for outside jump shots. Show a little patience and move the ball until we can get to the rim.

Normally in any game we want as many lay ups as possible... but tell players we want a balanced attack... balance of outside shots and inside shots.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 08:34 

Agreed. How about targeting specific players to draw fouls on??

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 08:36 
Site Admin

I know some coaches do that but I usually don't get that detailed. I don't want my kids "overthinking" out there. I find if you give them too much to think about their performance does down hill.

I want our kids playing "our game" and making good decisions based on the situation so we get great shots. That's just me. Other coaches have a different philosophy I'm sure.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 16:18 

You always have to be prepared for tighter games or games where the refs seem to let them play and adjust accordingly. Asking the refs before the game if there are any "points of emphasis" they'll be looking at might help in the future.

I'd take advantage if the refs are calling dribble drives and tell my kids to head towards the basket within your normal offensive scheme.