All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 23:55 

How do i sub players so they all get to play? there 10 players. Only had 3 practices with them don't even know all there names please help.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 09:50 
Site Admin

You can either platoon (5 subs in and 5 out). That is simple but can spread out your good players too much.

The other option is to sub 2-3 players at a time. Try to get them all at least 10 minutes of playing time. That is minimum. Equal playing time would be fine too. But I do think rewarding effort and good character is ideal.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 10:38 

Our conference had a rule that I felt was very good for middle school and youth.

1st quarter: 5 players would play. 2nd quarter: No one who played in the first quarter could play in the second.

Second Half: Coach had carte blanche to play who he/she wanted however much was necessary. It worked really well because you had to coach everyone.

What you would need to do this is: A strong ball handler for your first group and then a second strong ball handler for your second group. Someone to initiate your offense in both quarters. I used to think the big men were the most important, but I was wrong. If you don't have a good ball handler, your offense will not run. Make sure your players are practiced at multiple spots on the floor, that way you can mix and match with what you do on the court. That way when the second half hits, you can tinker with your line-ups as is necessary.

But the 1st/2nd quarter method makes playing time meaningful to everyone. Unless you have a really strong team, you can't afford an off quarter.