All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 12:12 

Any ideas on how to break a 3-2 zone with some long kids up front. Somtime they stay at the free throw line, sometimes the pick up up at half court, sometimes they trap. We have some good guards

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 12:42 
Site Admin

Put players in gaps, pass fake, dribble penetrate, move the ball, find seams. Just have them play.

Put someone in the middle of that zone around the free throw line. Put your best ball handler / play maker there. He/she will tear up the zone either driving or dishing to players. Generally the middle, corners, and post areas are weak spots for a 3-2 zone.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 12:58 

The common line of thinking that I seem to always read about when it comes to attacking a zone is to kind of have your offensive alignment be the invert of the zone defense. Meaning if the top layer has 2 defender, you want to deploy 3 offensive players into those gaps. If they play with a 1 or 3 defender top layer, you would want to put 2 offensive players in the gaps that are created by alignment.

After that it's about ball movement, gap penetration and overloads (similar to a flood pass concept in football. put more offensive players in an area than there are defenders.)

If you're running a motion offense, you could always try staying with that and telling your players to pass and only cut partially, sometimes referred to as "pass and hook" instead of "pass and cut" as your players will look to get into the bubbles created by the zone instead of cutting all the way to the rim.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 13:08 

Love running a 3-2 zone half court press, it can definitely disrupt the other team and provide great fast break opportunities for easy baskets. One suggestion is incorporate that in your defense and run it in practice. I found that actually running the defense we were trying to beat helped the kids see the weaknesses. They could understand what the defense was trying to do since they actually had to run it themselves.

If the zone is picking up at half court, more than likely their point will try and force your dribbler to one side and have his teammate come up for a trap. The off ball defender cheats up to steal a cross court pass and the ball-side low defender is taking away a pass down the line. The off ball lower defender is cheating up to cover the middle. Staying away from the half court trap zones and getting quick passes in the seams helps here. If you can get past the front line you're gold. I had two guys down in the short corners against the half court press.

If the zone is their regular defense, I always put two guys down in the short corners on either side with their heels touching the baseline with the freedom to come up if need be to help receive a pass. I had one guy playing up like Jeff suggested in the middle/FT area. That player has to be aggressive and make sure the passer can see them. If you get the ball to that player and have two in the short corners, something good is going to happen.

Just like any zone, good ball movement is a key. If you get the ball in the paint against a zone, you should either score or draw the foul. One last thought, don't let them set up the half court press, get the ball in quickly and take it down as their setting up.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 10:51 
Site Admin

I just posted this on the other forum post...

That's tough.. I have used this offense against 3-2 and 1-3-1 zones with some success...

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/playcreator/view.asp?id=69&type=play