All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 20:30 

Great post, Jeff!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 09:23 

Great point Jeff.

My 5th grade girls scrimmaged our 6th grade girls last week and I wanted to put an emphasis on playing a halfcourt game and getting better at executing there. When the pace of the game is fast, almost chaotic, our team seems to be at it's best. So I really wanted to work on playing in a slowed down environment and having to work to find a shot.

We would get steals or rebounds and look to run in the scrimmage but I forced them to slow down, pull the ball back out and run our offense. We are 5out pass and cut or pass and screen away, with a couple little quick hitter type plays sprinkled in. It was driving them crazy to not be able to run, but I kept explaining to them during breaks in the action that I knew we were capable of running and gunning, but now I want to get better at running our offense against a set defense. I told them we weren't there to just score more points and win the scrimmage (we actually did beat the 6th graders last month in another scrimmage). It frustrated our players, but I think it made them better. Even if they don't completely realize it yet.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 12:42 

There is certainly a balance there to be struck. Playing uptempo also means there are (usually) going to be more turnovers and mistakes and I know a lot of couches struggle with that (I do at times). The flip side is that it can generate more opportunities as well as helps with rhythm and flow, something that is harder to get when you walk up almost all changes of possession and call set plays each time in the half court. It is interesting watching both college and pro hoops deals with this issue. It seems like there are periods where everyone plays a certain way (remember the Bad Boys of Detroit and how most games were in the 80s and before that Showtime where scores were in the 110s). Now the pendulum has swung back not quite all the way to the Showtime era but teams like the Spurs and Golden State have open more flowing offensive styles and getting on the break more than teams did a few years ago. At the college-level the emphasis has shifted toward more slower, defensive-oriented styles like UVA's pack line scheme and milk the clock offense and scores look like they are down from where they were a decade ago when teams like UNC, Duke and Kansas averaged scores in the 80s yet still played good defense. As a coach I have tried to teach the style that I am most comfortable with while still being flexible enough that we can make adjustments based on personnel (your and theirs) and game situation. Easier said than done, but it is part of the fun!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 16:34 

I think the real reason that scoring is down in the NCAA has nothing to do with milk the clock offenses so much as it has to do with little to no offenses being run.

I don't agree that Virginia is any kind of stall offense. They run blocker-mover, and they actually run really good actions off the ball, setting down-screens, re-screens, and pin downs. Additionally their team is very disciplined to look for a quality look. They do fast-break on turnovers and rebounds and get looks of opportunity.

I think the reason scoring is down, is it seems as though very few teams run ANY kind of action away from the ball anymore, or ANY kind of offense that caries beyond an initiation set. I've lost track of the number of times a team will pass the ball around the perimeter, make very few cuts with a purpose, and then with 8-10 seconds left on the shot-clock, set a high ball screen.

Where are the screens and pin-downs at 25-15 seconds left looking for shots and runners? Where are the cross and UCLA actions looking for post-ups?

I think there are MAYBE a handful of teams in the NCAA that run good offense. The rest seem very reliant upon pressure defense and fastbreak, then talent to get shots. But the offenses that are being run right now do not seem very good.

Part of what we are talking about feeds into what is going on. There is so much fast-break, up-tempo offense being run at the lower levels that kids now have no idea what to do in the half-court. Tandem partners, using screens, reading screens, seems to be lost with 80% of most college basketball teams. That's at least partially reflected on the type of players that are being made available to them and how those players have been trained.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 11:33 

The pace and pressure are designed to increase the shot differential. In a slow paced game the team trying to slow things down has to be exceptional and ball handling and or passing to maintain possession. Lower possessions also means more pressure to make the shots so that is also a wash in my mind. Good teams beat weak teams 9 out of 10 times when the shots are equal, but by committing to a fast pace and disruptive defense there is a chance for getting more shots.
Maybe a weak team that gets 10+ shots has a better chance against a stronger team.
That was my take on the Hubie Brown philosophy, create a shot differential, not just more shots for each team.