All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 18:57 

Hello,

I've looked into several resources, but can't find a good book or dvd dedicated to in-game coaching decisions/strategies. Do you have any that you would recommend?

Thank you

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 05:49 
Site Admin

Good question. We have a few articles about game strategies here:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/gamestrategy.html

But I don't know of any books about the topic.

Maybe it's because I'm a practice coach and don't worry too much about the situations or try to outsmart the opponent. (It probably wouldn't work anyway because they're probably smarter than me!). I believe if I spend most of my energy developing players (athleticism, skills, decision making) then we'll be successful in games. Then I try to relax during the game and continue "teaching" and treating it like a practice. I just try to keep teaching m2m fundamentals, spacing, offensive fundamentals, etc. Games are just an extension of practice and an opportunity to keep improving. JMO.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 09:05 

Hi Coach!

That makes sense and exactly what I've done to this point. In the summer, being the only coach, I feel I miss alot of opportunities for my team. I could definately improve on subbing offense/defense down the stretch. I fortunately coach one of the top 11th grade AAU teams in the state, so they usually make me look like I know what I'm doing! :)

Thanks

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 09:09 
Site Admin

Amazing how great players make you look like the smartest coach ever!! :)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2013, 09:28 

Coach B snf Jeff-

Coach, don't let Jeff kid you, he knows a lot about the game but he is right on one thing.... GREAT players make great coaches. If you have some kids that can put the ball in the basket.... you will look like a genius... IF they cant score, I don't care how good you are.... you wont win.

As for game coaching and stategies.... a lot of that comes from experience and your willingness to be flexible with the talent you have. The longer we coach, the bettre we get at handling the game and all the situations that come up.

Go to clinics, watch as many games as you can and see how other ocaches handle certain situations... then ask yourself IS that the way I would handle it? We ran "situations" at the end of every practice.... I would let the kids figure out what they wanted to do.... and IF I didn't like it, I would explain what I felt was the right way to do it. Then we would run it again. This is a great teaching tool.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 15:45 

Have to echo Sar's sentiments here, really like the situations drills in practice. We try to pick a handful of realistic scenarios that might happen in a game and run those.

Sometimes my players come up with solutions. I'll ask what they're seeing out on the court; usually one or two come up with a quick tweak and we're good to go. I also have my assistant watching for possible tweaks on the court.

This might sound simplistic, but controlling the momentum in a game seems to trump everything else. If I'm pressing and scoring because our fast paced game is working, I run with that until I can't anymore. The opposite is true if we need to slow it down and become more methodical. Same holds true for my players on the court. Sometimes the right combination seems to be working so I let it ride as long as possible.

In the end, I've found that my decisions/strategies are only as good as the players on the court (which has already been stated above). In practice, preparing the players with a handful of common scenarios and keywords to remind them seems to help during a game.

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 12:54 

When I started out coaching, I was very lassiez faire in terms of game management. Part of it was that when my team was younger KISS was very much in order to keep the stress level down (and basic execution up) which would only be elevated by constant changes and coaching adjustments. But it also had to do with my not knowing the game well.

Now, I put a little more into game management. If the kids are going to work hard on the floor to be successful I have concluded I need to put the same effort in and, for example, call time outs quickly when the other team makes a run, don't get to wedded to offenses or defenses that are not working just because they did in practice, the last game or what we "usually" do, changing match ups so our best defenders are on their best offensive players, running a set play at the end of a period so we can get a good shot, and so forth.

Of course you need to avoid micromanagement and there are times when it is best to just let them play, but I have learned a lot more about the game (and how much more I need to learn!!) by being more active and involved in in-game decisions.