All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 12:16 

Every spring/fall, I split my 8 guys up into two teams and we play in a competitive 3 v 3 league. Great for the kids, keeps them playing until next league starts, plus it forces ALL of the players to deal with rebounds, passes, drives, screens, rolls, etc. Love it and think more teams should do it.

Offense: Are there any plays or strategies you'd recommend? We usually go with a motion type offense and spread our guys out wide. Simple rule is: when you pass, you either cut or set screen (on or off ball). Pick and rolls seem to work well, if we can get a switch and mismatch.

Defense: I've found that if an offense spreads out wide, it's a lot tougher to guard in 3 on 3. Most of the teams we play have pretty good guards, so we end up with a sagging type D and that works pretty well against drives. The problem is defending the 3's if they get hot.

Just looking for ideas or thoughts that I might be missing on 3 v 3 strategies.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 12:49 
Site Admin

Coach Rob, that's great! I wish we had some of those options around here. I remember playing 3on3 ball growing up all the way through middle school. That was our offseason. No coaching. Just figure it out and learn how to play.

When I started thinking of 3 on 3 strategies, there are other things you can work on besides the basics of cuts, away screens, and ball screens. I'm not sure I would spend much time on them, but you could certainly get creative.

Post Play:
- high post
- low post
- double post
- cross screens
- hi-lo
- diagonal screens
- ball screen to post
- ball screen to diagonal screen
- seals on ball reversals

Wing:
- Flare screen
- Ball screen to flare screen
- Handoffs

Double screens, stagger screens.... just kidding. Hopefully, that gives you some other ideas.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 18:48 

Two very simple sets....

High pick and roll away from the other wing.... that way there is NO help.... IF they dont step out for the player with the ball... hes off to the races... IF he does... you hit the roller and the help cant get there in time.

You could pick and pop.

Pass and V cut, swim move across defenders body and you are open....

OR pass and screen away... if the defender chases, you curl, if he comes ball side, you flare.....

IF you set a good screen and your man helps. roll back to the ball... or you can slip the screen for a lay up.

Ok, thats more than two..... LOL :-)

Hope this helps Rob.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 13:37 

Great suggestions from both of you. Had a practice last night and used some of the suggestions. V cut is a good one, especially if you make a proper "V" cut. Like the swim move, if they try and deny. We also practiced back screens which I think can be effective in 3 v 3. Like the seal moves off reversals and a cut down low. First two games tonight, we'll see how it goes. Always looks good on paper and then the game takes on its own flow.

Hard to take this too serious with one of our team names being Michael Jordan's cousin's friends. We were Nashed Potatoes and McGrady in the fall. Gotta keep it fun.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 15:34 

Funny stuff Rob!