All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 15:58 

Hello,

I observe several coaches in late game situations substitute offense for defense and/or defense for offense. Would you be able to give me some insight on the best situations to use this tactic and the timing of the substitution e.g., after a made free throw.

Thank you!

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 18:45 

Coach B -

We would send a sub to the table AFTER the ref handed my shooter the ball for his last shot... 2nd attempt on a 1&1 or his 2nd foul shot... That way it stops the play and allowed us to set our defense, usually a 1-2-2 if we were winning, kind of float around keeping the ball in front of us, IF they dribbled over half court on the sideline we would trap that. IF we were losing. we would m2m press.

You can sub a better defensive player or get someone out of the game that is in foul trouble. IF it was a dead ball situation and I wanted a better offensive player in the game, that was the time.

I hope this was what you were looking for.... its what we did and this was boys Varsity ball.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 20:23 

Hi Coach,

It's really great information once again. Would you attempt to sub players possession by possession depending on dead ball opportunities? If you have a defensive stopper and you want him in on defense, out on offense, how would you manage that situation?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 20:39 

Hey Coach -

Funny you ask that.... I used to sub players when I wanted certain people in...... one kid asked me if I was messing with his mind... I said NO, just trying to keep the clock stopped so we could organize our defense.

OK, ANYTIME thre is a stoppage of play, you can sub a player... so you have to have your guy close to you..... Dead ball situations are the only time you can sub.