All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 09:39 

My team under 16 years is very good in the training and experimental games but the common matches is very bad especially in the second and third quarters. I want to know why? and the solution.
Please send me. Thanks

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2009, 13:32 

Not sure how to address such a broad topic (game performance VS practice performance) but here are some points to consider.

RESULTS are defined as wins, losses, points scored, assists, rebounds, etc. Results are almost always quantifiable.

THE PROCESS is defined as work ethic, conditioning, skill development, attitude, effort, school 1st, respect for one another, etc. The Process can be quantified but often times is not.

The best players do not worry about results completely because they often can not control the results completely. There are many variables that affect results (other team, coaches, refs, etc).

The best players however CAN CONTROL every aspect of the PROCESS. Thye can be in great shape. Thye can work extremely hard on their skills. They can control their effort, attitude, their school work, their practice habits.

It should come as no surprise that players and teams that focus more on the PROCESS often times have great RESULTS.

What do you do now? I would suggest forgetting about the wins and losses. Try for little victories within the game based on an improved process. EXAMPLE: if your team struggles under pressure (COMMON) and a basic skill not being executed well is hurting you, work on that skill. For example, many times double teams work because the player with the ball can not create his own space with long and strong pivots and he might also struggle with getting the ball up when he pivots. This is a turnover machine waiting to happen. Can your players reduce their turnovers in the next game by pivoting more aggressively and getting the ball up? This would be a little victory.

Forget the results, work on the process, stick with it and the results will improve.

www.MyBasketballBasics.com